Letter from Dr. Fitz.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

The functions of the Medical Visitor seem to be vaguely understood and it may be well to make them definite. So far as possible all students in Cambridge not living at home are visited immediately upon receiving a report of absence caused by illness. The object of this visitation is to see that the student receives proper medical care, to guard against the spread of contagious disease, and incidentally to give such advice regarding general habits as is desired or necessary. Ordinarily the medical treatment is not undertaken, but cases are referred to their regular physicians. The reports are taken from U. 5 at 11 o'clock each morning, and it is essential that they should be made before this time. The demands on the department have so greatly increased that it is necessary to systematize the work in order that students may be looked after promptly. It is well for students to bear in mind that in the evening a fever is at its greatest height, and any one having fever as shown by chills or "fever" in the morning, should report immediately for he is liable to be worse in the afternoon rather than better. This is necessary as reports later than 11 a.m. may not be received till the following morning. An hour, 2 to 3 p.m. has been established for consultation at Claverly 11, and it is desired that all who wish to consult on medical and hygienic matters will take advantage of this time. All reports should be made at the beginning of absences caused by illnesses, for all sore throats and colds are potentially diptheria, measles, scarlet fever, etc., until proved negative and students with these troubles should be very careful to isolate themselves until a diagnosis has been made.

G. W. FITZ.