Yale Letter.

NEW HAVEN, April 6.The charges of intellectual stagnation at Yale due to abnormal interest in athletics, are again proven absolutely false. The prospectus of elective courses for the next year shows a remarkable educational advance in the innovations and additions to Yale's curriculum. History, Political Economy and English are the three most popular branches of study here, and the Faculty has shown a full appreciation of this fact. In history there are four additional electives added, one of which - Ancient Oriental History - is believed to be the only course of its kind offered at an American College. In Economics the important courses are extended so as to include more hours per week, while in English - Yale's greatest deficiency in the past - not only are several new courses added but there will be introduced an entirely original and practical method of developing literary style and facility in writing. This will consist of the "office hour" system of instruction given by the rhetorician, Dr. Charles S. Baldwin, at present of Columbia College, who will confer personally with the students of the various courses relative to the shaping of their style - also with those showing an aptitude for journalism, magazine work and other special kinds of literary work. Other important additions to Yale's equipment are courses in Evolution, Navigation and Military Science - the latter similar to that established last year at Harvard, and which will probably soon be established at Princeton.

The Yale News has printed the last lot of replies to the queries as to "Yale's Greatest Need," from Judge Howland and Mr. Mason, both members of the corporation. The first shows the necessity for a larger permanent endowment, the second claims that what is most wanted is "a well matured and comprehensive plan for the development of the whole University." The series of letters has attracted great attention among both alumni and undergraduates, and it is probable that material results will follow in the assistance which will be given to the work of the Alumni University Fund Committee.

The lecture committee of the Yale Union has received a promise from Mr. Joseph Jefferson, the actor, to lecture here in the near future.

The seniors have now all received their caps and gowns, which are extremely picturesque in their effect. The present junior class is agitating the subject of establishing the custom of wearing caps and gowns throughout the senior year, as it is thought that the dignity which the gowns give might as well be utilized all the time, as well as in the spring alone.

THE YALE NEWS.