THE INTER-CLUB DEBATE.

Arrangements for the Meeting Tonight Completed.

Tonight, for the first time in their existence, the two rival debating societies will meet in a public contest. The year has seen a remarkable increase in the interest in debate, and the two societies have never been so prosperous nor contained so much ability as at present. The committee in charge have made the most careful and extensive preparations for the event. Hon. William A. Bancroft '78, Mr. Ernest L. Conant '84, and Mr. George P. Baker '87, will act as judges. The meeting will be presided over by Herbert C. Lakin L. S.

The question of the evening will be, "Resolved, That the present method of electing United States senators is preferable to election by popular vote." The speakers will be as follows:

Principal Disputants.Affirmative. Harvard Union. Negative, Wendell Phillips Club.

H. A. Bull '95. F.D. Pollak '96.

J. P. Hall L. S. W. S. Youngman '95.

Five Minute Speakers.N. P. Dodge '95. A. S. Apsey L. S.

R. C.Ringwalt '95. W. R. Buckminster 2L.

C. A. Duniway Gr. W. E. Hutton '95.

E. H. Warren '95. F. R. Steward '96.

J. P. Warren '96. A. P. Steone L. S.

The debate will be opened for the Harvard Union by H. A. Bull in a speech of eight minutes. He will be answered by F. D. Pollak of the Wendell Phillips Club. Ten minute speeches will then follow by J. P. Hall on the affirmative and W. S. Youngman on the negative, after which the five minute speakers will discuss special aspects of the question. The debate will then be closed by the opening speakers, who will be allowed seven minutes each for rebuttal and general conclusion.

As seven of the disputants have taken part in Harvard-Yale debates, namely, Bull, Ringwalt, Duniway, Apsey, Hutton, Stone and E. H. Warren, and the remaining speakers represent the best ability of their respective organizations, it is reasonable to expect a debate equal to, if not surpassing in interest and excitement, an ordinary intercollegiate contest.

It has been urged to have the debate take place in Sanders Theatre, but owing to the fact that this is the first meeting of the kind it was thought best to hold it in Sever 11, where it will be opened promptly at 7.30 p. m.

An invitation to be present has been accepted by the students of Radcliffe College who will occupy a reserved section of forty seats.