South End Free Art Exhibition.

[The following notice of the South End Free Art Exhibition has been sent to the CRIMSON. The attention of members of the University is called especially to the appeal for men who can lend their services in explaining the pictures to those who visit the exhibition.]

The Free Art Exhibition given in the South End two years ago with so great success is to be repeated, beginning about the middle of April. The Exhibition of 1893 lasted thirty days, and during that time the attendance numbered over forty thousand. The Boston Advertiser said at its conclusion: "It may be doubted whether there has ever been in Boston, or anywhere else, a more successful enterprise of a kindred nature than this Free Art Exhibition."

The work of collecting, arranging, and cataloguing the pictures will be in the hands of the same committee as before, with Mr. Ross Turner again as chairman. The plan which proved so useful of having competent persons always in the hall to explain the pictures in an informal way, will again be followed; and it is hoped that much more may be done in the way of talks and lectures about art, to be given in the neighborhood during the course of the Exhibition.

It is beyond question now that the people of the South End care for pictures, but every effort will be made to secure as great an attendance as possible. Many South End people have already promised their help toward securing this result. We expect to use the same hall as before, - subject to the permission of the city council, - which has the great advantage of being located at the very centre of the crowded population of the South End.

The necessary expenses of the exhibition will amount to about $600, covering insurance, lighting, conveying of pictures, printing, services of watchmen, and incidentals, The finance committee feel great confidence in asking contributions toward an undertaking which has proved in every way so satisfactory. Subscriptions may be sent to F. J. Stimson, Treasurer of the Exhibition, 709 Exchange Building.

ROBERT A. WOODS,MARY MORTON KEHEW,F. J. STIMSON,EDMUND BILLINGS,HELEN CHEEVER.