Graduate Conference.

Delegates from the graduate clubs of various American colleges met in their first convention at the Buckingham Hotel New York, last Monday to discuss matters affecting the interests of graduate students. Henry A. Cushing of Columbia College was made president.

At the afternoon session it was decided that the association would assume responsibility for the publication of the handbook of graduate studies.

A discussion on intermigration of students during the graduate course took place. Professor Lanberton of the University of Pennsylvania thought the course should be from beginning to end at the same institution. Several of the students expressed contrary views.

A discussion was hold on the necessity of maintaining a more uniform, and a higher standard for the doctor's degree. Professor Wheeler of Cornell University took part in the discussion.

The delegates adopted resolutions which will be submitted to the college boards of trustees, to the faculties and to the general university public, declaring that the degree of doctor of philosophy should be granted only after the publication of a thesis embodying results of original investigation; that only those who have obtained the degree of bachelor of arts from some reputable college should be eligible for the degree of Ph. D.; that the regulations should be modified to facilitate the intermigration of graduate students; that not more than one year's residence in the university should be required where the degree of Ph. D. is conferred, and that the giving of the degree of master of arts, doctor of science and doctor of letters, honoris causa, is to be condemned.