Yale Letter.

NEW HAVEN, April 20.

President Dwight has issued his annual report, and as usual makes no mention whatever of athletics. In reference to the criticisms advanced by the press that Yale's growth has been external and material rather than intellectual, the president says: "The education is better, wider, larger than it was ten years since, and every man who will use what the university offers will receive for himself the better and larger result. The inner life of the institution is growing as the outer life is growing, and this is the right and healthful growth - the growth of the two together."

Two books have recently been published relating to life at Yale. The first, "The Yale Man Up to Date," by Miss Jean Pardee, known as "Caprice," represents the Yale student as a somewhat aristocratic personage, well-dressed, good natured, somewhat eccentric and fickle in his notions and inclined to regard college institutions, etc., as "pastimes." The second by Professor Beers, "The Ways of Yale," has been received much more cordially. In a bright and humorous style it shows up Yale life, as a life of true, democratic, good-fellowship - the heritage of every Yale man who makes the most of his opportunities. The latter book is receiving an enormous sale here.

The death of Professor Dana during vacation has occasioned profound sorrow throughout the University. He was the last representative of the "old guard" of great scholars and still greater teachers, who rendered the first contributions to Yale's fame as an institution of learning. He was universally loved as well as respected, and though he was very old, yet every one was shocked to hear of his sudden death. He continued his writings up to the very last day.

The Yale campus was almost entirely deserted during the vacation, but few of the students remaining in town. The Glee Club and Nine had enjoyable trips South, notwithstanding the seven defeats which the latter received. It is difficult for the Nine to fully do itself justice on such trips, owing to the difficulty of keeping in good training during such constant travel.

THE YALE NEWS.