Princeton Letter.

PRINCETON, N. J., April 2, 1895.

By far the most important event of the last month in college life at Princeton was the joint debate with Harvard held on March 27th. Great interest was manifested in it both by the students and faculty, and it was clearly shown that the interest in literary contests is not inferior to that of athletics. A very large audience was present, and close attention was paid to the speakers, who were frequently applauded. While the result was not what Princeton had hoped for, every one who heard the debate was satisfied that the decision of the judges was eminently just. The arguments advanced by both sides were clear and forcible, and the contest was very close. It is hoped that these contests will continue to be held in the future, and that the same good feeling will be manifested between the two universities.

The first preliminary debate to choose speakers for the contest with Yale will be held this week in the Whig and Cliosophic Societies. A large number of men have entered these trials, almost double the number that entered the preliminaries for the Harvard debate, and, judging by the interest shown and the preparations that are being made, the contest will be a good one.

With the opening of spring the different branches of athletics are beginning to take a prominent place. The baseball team has been practising regularly on the diamond, and two games have been played, in which many of the new men were tried at the different positions. The only two positions not filled by old men are short-stop and centre field, and as there are quite a number of candidates for these, the final make-up of the team has not yet been decided. The team will not go to the training table until after the Southern trip during the Easter vacation. A second team will be organized during the year for the purpose of giving the 'varsity practice, and games have been arranged for it when the 'varsity is away. The list of candidates for the freshman team has been reduced to thirty, and a strong team is expected.

For several years Princeton has not had a lacrosse team, but there has been one started this spring, and games will be arranged with other college teams. Walter Moses '95 has been elected captain. Nearly fifty men have responded to the call for candidates for the track team, and regular daily practice has begun.

A long felt want is being supplied in the erection of the Casino, which is to be used for dances, tennis courts and the performances of the Dramatic Association. The building will be erected by the students on a site which was given them by the trustees. An attempt has been made to secure military drill in the college, and a committee has been appointed to ask the government for an officer and the necessary supplies.

THE DAILY PRINCETONIAN.