HARVARD-YALE FOOTBALL.

Correspondence Between the Two Captains. - Walter Camp Resigns.

Captain Brewer of the football team has received a letter from Captain Thorne of Yale on the subject of arranging football games next year. The purport of this letter is withheld for the present at least, but a reply has been sent. The statement made in the New York Sun and Boston Globe of yesterday that the letter was to the effect that Yale would not play unless "Harvard apologized" has not been officially given out, either in New Haven or in Cambridge.

NEW HAVEN, CONN., May 16. - Walter Camp, the well known coach was seen this afternoon and said that he had no hand in influencing the Yale management, to take their stand. He did not care to be quoted in the matter. He said that he had handed in his resignation as a member of the athletic advisory committee to Captain Thorne and would not in the future take as active an interest in athletics as heretofore. Mr. Camp stated that reasons of business and health were the sole cause for his step.

Professor Richards said this afternoon that Captain Thorne had been advised by leading Yale alumni in the matter of asking a retraction from Harvard.

The Yale News and other publications have said nothing in the matter and will not mention it in either their news or editorial columns till an answer is received from Harvard relative to the matter.