The Pi Eta Play.

The public performances of "The Buccaneer," the play of the Pi Eta Society, will be given in Brattle Hall, Cambridge, on Monday and Tuesday evenings, May 27 and 28, and in Copley Hall, Boston, Wednesday, May 29, at 8.15 p. m.

Tickets for the Cambridge performances may be obtained at Thurston's; price $1.50. Tickets for the Boston performance may be obtained at Herrick's, Clough & Shackley's, and the Women's Educational and Industrial Union; price $1.50. All seats will be reserved.

The following ladies will act as patronesses:

For the Cambridge performances - Mrs. Charles W. Eliot, Mrs. George H. Palmer, Mrs. William E. Russell, Mrs. Walter I. Badger, Mrs. George P. Baker, Mrs. Henry E. Warner, Mrs. William A. Bancroft.

For the Boston performance - Mrs. Frederick T. Greenhalge, Mrs. Roger Wolcott, Mrs. Langdon Shannon Davis, Mrs. Alice Freeman Palmer, Mrs. Arthur Foote, Mrs. Ernest K. Fenollosa, Mrs. Kilby Page, Mrs. John Oscar Teele, Mrs. Charles Albert Coffin, Mrs. Roland C. Lincoln, Mrs. Eugene S. Pike of Chicago.

A synopsis of the play is given below:

The opera deals with the doings of a piratical crew and this has given the young composer a chance to get in some unusually effective choruses. The solos are pleasing and one duet is especially good.

The opera is in two acts, both laid in the cave of the pirates. They are the last of the band of the famous Captain Kidd, so that the time is the last of the 17th century.

The curtain rising discloses the band of pirates engaged in their favorite pursuits of sharpening their weapons and drinking. They sing for their opening chorus, "We're a miserable gang of ruffians."

As they finish, Fr. Benedict, the priest of the band, enters with his usual chronic cough, which can only be appeased by a finger or so of rum and no water. He is noted for his power as a singer, and he favors the pirates with the song of the Rover.

The pirates greet this song with a burst of cheers, when a loud crash is heard and they hurriedly conceal themselves.

Upon the deserted stage then is hurled Darius Green, who has just been dropped from his erratic flying machine into the pirate's lair. He is not too badly hurt, however, to explain his identity in a catchy topical song and dance in which he sings "Behold in me Darius Green, a native of Connecticut."

He is interrupted in his search around the cave by the pirates who burst in and take him prisoner. He explains to his captors what a magnificent inventive brain he has, and describes his chief invention, in what is perhaps the liveliest song of the piece, "The flying machine song."

The pirates are delighted to find that they have captured a man of genius, as they are in a deal of trouble. Their late leader, Captain Kidd, left as his dying wish the request that a new leader be chosen by ballot, each man to vote conscientiously. All felt bound by their conscience to vote for themselves, so, after innumerable ballots, there was no choice.

Darius Green agrees to settle the difficulty at once by casting one ballot for the whole crew.

As each man thinks he will be the one chosen, they all agree, but, to their anger, Green deposits his ballot for himself. He at once asserts his authority, and declares his intention of taking the name of their dead leader.

They reluctantly agree, when a stranger appears in the person of an asthetic poet, Algernon Lovelace, who sings "A poet am I."

The chorus rush in upon him and terrify him by singing "Oh, mamma won't you buy me that?"

The poet, it seems, has left home because he has been rejected by his sweetheart, Lithia Waters, and is wandering in search of an aesthetic pool in which to drown himself.

He is persuaded, however, on promise of being made poet laureate of the pirates, to give up his scheme and join the band.

The pirates sing a slumber song and retire to rest, the new Kidd discreetly picking up the picture of Lithia, which Lovelace has thrown away.

Now enter Tabitha Green, in search of her missing husband, and Lithia, in search of her lover, as he has fallen heir to an estate and baronetcy. They are disguised as Quakers and do a neat song and dance as their introduction.

She is soon surprised by Kidd, who on learning who she is and what is the good fortune of Algernon, declares himself as her long-lost lover, changed beyond recognition by his lost life.

She is incredulous, but the display of her picture clears all doubts and she flies to his arms, giving an opportunity for a love duet, "Within this heart of mine."

Meanwhile the pirates have been having a little fun with Algernon and his suicidal pools. He rushes off to commit suicide in real earnest, and Kidd's path is clear.

The pirates are won over by promises of pardons through the new baron's influence, and the curtain falls on the chorus singing "Hail to Algernon, the royal baron."

In the second act the pirates are busy making preparations for the approaching marriage. They are singing a bridal chorus. But the villain Bloodso is plotting against Kidd, and he soon finds a helper in the real Algernon, who reappears, disconsolate, because he can not find a pool deep enough for his purpose.

Kidd enters, slightly under the influence of numerous potations, and has a very ludicrous scene with his wife, who does not recognize him in his piratical disguise. The whole second act is full of clever songs and dances, which have little to do with the plot.

At last the wedding procession of pirates appears, all gayly dressed for the ceremony. They sing a stately wedding march.

At the last minute the missing Lovelace rushes in, and Lithia at once flies to him. But when Kidd shows that the poet has discarded her picture she becomes cold once more, and Kidd is at the point of triumph when Tabitha appears upon the scene, and, at the instigation of Bloodso, discovers at last her husband.

Every one is thus brought together, and the opera ends with the chorus singing:

Trust in thy star of love

Safely to guide thee.