HARVARD, 6; AMHERST, 2.

Encouraging Improvement Shown by the Home Team.

The Harvard nine won its second recent victory yesterday afternoon. Amherst who recently defeated Yale by a score of two to one proved an easy victim. Moreover, Thomas, off of whom Yale could not make a hit during the game was touched up for three singles, a three bagger and a home run in four innings.

The playing of the Harvard nine showed great improvement over what it has been lately, but it was still not entirely satisfactory. As long as the game was easy everything went along well, but when in the seventh inning Amherst had none out and three men on bases the playing of Harvard showed signs of unsteadiness. However the men soon pulled together and but two runs were made in the inning.

The batting order and make-up of the nine was somewhat changed. Adams again took Winslow's place at third at the head of the list. Stevenson and Paine both moved up a couple of pegs while Burgess, Wrenn and Hayes, who was at his old place in right, came in at the bottom of the list.

Paine pitched a splendid game, striking out the first five men at the bat. But four hits were made off him and he gave but two bases on balls. Scannell's work was much better than it has been lately. He caught two beautiful high fouls, but his record was marred by a bad passed ball which let in a run. Wrenn and Stevenson both fielded their positions very acceptably. Hayes, at right, caught two good flies and his home run was one of the features of the game.

The playing of Amherst was very mediocre, Priddy and Montague playing the best games. Thomas pitched four innings, but, while at the bat in the fifth, was struck in the finger by a pitched ball and Gregory took his place. Amherst came to the bat first, but for five innings only one man reached first, and he was soon caught napping and thrown out by Paine.

Harvard came to the bat and started in with three runs, two of which were earned.

Adams got his base on balls. Rand hit to short, who threw Adams out at second. Rand reached first and stole second safely. Whittemore reached first on a fumble by Trask and Rand went to third. Whittemore stole second and both men came home on Scannell's three-bagger to left field. Stevenson went out at first; Paine hit safely and Scannell scored. Burgess went to first on an error by Kellogg, while Paine reached second, but both men were left, as Wrenn made the third out.

In the second, Rand got as far as second, but was thrown out while trying to steal third. No one got to first in the third. The fourth inning brought in two more earned runs for Harvard. With one out Wrenn came to the bat and made a safe hit over second base. Hayes then lined out a home run in left field, which brought Wrenn home. Adams was hit by the ball. Whittemore hit to short and both went out on a double play.

One more run came in the sixth. Paine reached first on a single, then bad errors by Montague and Fletcher allowed him to score. Burgess got as far as third, but was thrown out while trying to reach home.

Amherst did all her scoring in the seventh inning. Priddy was the first man up. He made a hit which struck the edge of the running track and bounded badly, allowing Priddy to reach second. Nichols then got his base on balls. Fletcher hit to Paine, who tried to field Priddy out on third but failed and the bases were full. Sullivan's single then brought in one run and the bases were full again. A bad passed ball on the part of Scannell then allowed one more run in. Good fielding, however, prevented any more scoring.

The game was, on the whole, well played and the work of both nines was brisk and lively.

The score:

HARVARD.

A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.

Adams, 3b. 2 0 0 0 1 0

Rand, l.f. 4 1 1 0 0 0

Whittemore, s.s. 3 1 0 1 4 1

Scannell, c. 4 1 1 11 0 0

Stevenson, 1b. 4 0 0 10 0 0

Paine, p. 4 1 2 0 4 0

Burgess, c.f. 3 0 0 0 0 0

Wrenn, 2b. 3 1 1 3 3 0

Hayes, r.f. 3 1 1 2 0 0

- - - - - -

Totals, 30 6 6 27 12 1

AMHERST.

A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.

Priddy, l.f. 4 1 1 4 0 0

Nichols, c.f. 3 1 1 1 0 0

Fletcher, 3b. 4 0 0 1 0 1

Sullivan, c. 4 0 1 5 1 0

Thomas, p. 1 0 0 0 2 0

Montague, s.s. 4 0 0 1 5 1

Kellogg, 2b. 3 0 0 2 3 1

Shea, l.f. 2 0 0 0 0 0

Trask, 1b. 3 0 0 10 1 1

Gregory, p. 3 0 1 0 1 0

- - - - - -

Totals, 31 2 4 24 13 4

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 3 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 - 6

Amherst, 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 - 2

Earned runs - Harvard 4, Amherst 1. Two-base hit - Priddy. Three-base hit - Scannell. Home run - Hayes. Stolen bases - Rand 2, Whittemore 2. First base on balls - Adams, Shea, Nichols, Whittemore. Struck out - Priddy 2, Nichols' Fletcher, Thomas, Sullivan, Scannell, Wrenn, Whittemore, Kellogg. Double plays - Montague, Kellogg and Trask; Montague, Trask and Sullivan; Whittemore, Wrenn and Stevenson. Passed ball - Scannell. Hit by pitched ball - Adams. Time, 1h. 35m. Umpire - Mullen.