HARVARD, 10; WEST END R. R., 2.

Gregory Strikes Out Fourteen Men. - The Batting Improved.

Harvard won from the West End Street Railroad nine on Holmes Field yesterday afternoon, by the score of 10 to 2. Gregory pitched a strong game, striking out fourteen men and allowing but six hits. Buckman caught well and threw in good form, catching two out of three men who tried to steal second. He also batted very well, making a two-base hit in the third and a three-base hit in the eight.

Although the Harvard men played well most of the time, they were caught napping three times. The first time was when Grant stole to third while the in-fielders were asleep; the second time was when Rand was caught off first base by Murphy who had kept the ball hidden. In the third Burgess was caught off second after he had made a two-bagger.

Whittemore's error was the only one of the three errors made by Harvard which proved costly.

Six of the nine hit safely; Adams did best, getting three hits out of five times at bat, and Rand got two hits out of three times at bat. Hayes had a tendency to knock up flies and was not able to get on base.

The West End Street Railroad men showed a lack of practice and lost the game chiefly through their inability to hit the ball at critical times. They were not so strong as the Amherst nine, and so the Harvard men were not pushed so hard as on Wednesday. But there is a manifest improvement in the work of the nine, and especially in the work of the infield. The men play with more snap than they did at the beginning of the week, and they seem to realize the responsibility which rests upon them.

The game began with a hit by Casey, who was, however, caught in trying to steal second. Gregory then struck out the other two men. For Harvard, Adams hit to Kennedy, who fielded him out at first. Rand got a two-bagger and went to third on a wild pitch but he was left there, as Buckman and Stevenson were both fielded out.

It was in the third that Harvard won the game. Adams and Rand hit safely and Whittemore got a base on balls. Buckman then hit for two bases, bringing in Adams and Rand. Stevenson hit safely, bringing in Whittemore. Hayes flied out to Gayton. Stevenson was enabled to score on Burgess's two-bagger, but Burgess himself was caught off of base when Wrenn flied out to centre.

In the fifth Whittemore scored because of two errors by Grant at third.

The West End Street Railroad men scored their first run in the sixth. Whittemore fumbled Falls's grounder, allowing him to reach first. Casey got a single, Grant went out on a foul and Murphy on a fly, but Roberts hit safely, bringing in Falls. Harvard scored twice in the seventh.

In the eighth after two men were out, Murphy knocked a high fly which went into the trees in left field and enabled him to get to second base. He scored on Roberts's single. In this inning Harvard scored twice, through Gregory's hit, Rand's base on balls and Buckman's three-base hit.

The score:

HARVARD.

A. B. R. B. P. O. A. E.

Adams, 3b. 5 1 3 0 0 1

Rand, l.f. 3 2 2 1 0 0

Whittemore, s.s. 2 3 0 0 2 1

Buckman, c. 4 2 2 14 2 1

Stevenson, 1b. 5 1 1 7 0 0

Hayes, r.f. 4 0 0 1 0 0

Burgess, c.f. 4 0 1 2 0 0

Wrenn, 2b. 4 0 0 2 2 0

Gregory, p. 4 1 1 0 15 0

- - - - - -

Totals, 35 10 10 27 21 3

WEST END R. R.

A. B. R. B. P. O. A. E.

Casey, c. 4 0 2 2 1 0

Grant, 3b. 4 0 0 1 2 0

Murphy, 1b. 4 1 1 15 0 0

Roberts, 2b. 4 0 2 1 5 3

Kennedy, s.s. 3 0 1 0 4 0

Gayton, l.f. 4 0 0 1 0 0

Powers, r.f. 4 0 0 1 0 0

Bigelow, c.f. 4 0 0 3 1 0

Falls, p. 3 1 0 0 2 0

- - - - - -

Totals, 34 2 6 24 15 3

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 0 0 5 0 1 0 2 2 - 10

West End R.R., 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 - 2

Earned runs - Harvard 3, West End 1. - Three-base hits - Buckman. Two-base hits - Rand, Buckman, Burgess, Murphy, Kennedy. Stolen bases - Grant 2. First base on balls - Kennedy, Rand 2, Whittemore 3, Buckman. First base on errors - Harvard 3, West End 3. Passed ball - Casey. Wild pitch - Falls. Struck out - Grant 3, Murphy 2, Roberts 2, Kennedy 2, Gayton 2, Powers 2, Bigelow. Umpire - Ben Cook, Jr. Time - 1h. 35m.