BROWN, 13; HARVARD, 8.

The Home Team Defeated in an III - Played Game.

The game yesterday afternoon was, to say the least of it, the worst the nine has put up thus far this season and was very discouraging. Only once during the game did the nine play in anything like its usual form; this was during the third and fourth inning. At the end of the fourth inning. At the end of the fourth innings the score stood five to three in Harvard's favor. Then the whole nine became demoralized and went to pieces and Brown had no trouble in piling up the runs. In all, thirteen errors were made. Harvard was greatly crippled by the loss of Winslow, who was laid off on account of a broken finger. Dean, who took his place at third, put up a very poor game, making four errors out of five chances. Then again, Wrenn, who has lately been suffering from tonsilitis, was unable to play the game out and his place was taken in the fourth inning by Morton, who made two errors. Buckman, who took Scannell's place in the eighth, had no chance to distinguish himself. The game was lost not on account of poor playing by any one or two men but by the wretched fielding of the whole nine. Of the infield Wrenn and Paine, each of whom played but three innings, were the only men who did not make an error. Highlands and Scannell both muffed easy flies and the latter also dropped the ball on a third strike, letting the batter reach first. Stevenson and Whittemore both had an off day, each making two errors.

In the outfield Hayes was very slow in starting after the ball. Burgess accepted four chances without an error and Rand in left covered a great deal of ground and made one fine catch of a very difficult fly. He and Burgess show a great tendency to get in each other's way when after fly balls, but this is due to lack of coaching more than anything else.

For Brown no one played a star game. In all five errors were made. Fultz and Land did the best work at the bat.

Brown came to the bat first and succeeded in scoring in the first inning. Donovan struck out. Robinson got his base on balls and went to second on an error by Stevenson. Bustard struck out. Lauder then made a safe hit which brought Robinson home from second. Lowney then went out to Stevenson.

Harvard got three men on bases but failed to score. Dean flied out. Rand got his base on balls, stole second and went to third on Whittemore's sacrifice. Two more bases on balls then filled the bases but Wrenn struck out and the chance for a run was lost.

In the second Brown scored twice. Cook got his base on balls, Paine tried to catch him there but Stevenson muffed the ball and he went to second and scored on Fultz's home run. Lang and Robinson flied out to Burgess and White struck out.

For Harvard Burgess got his base on balls and stole second. Stevenson was thrown out at first. Paine made a scratch hit which brought Burgess to third. Paine stole second. Dean hit to third

who fumbled and Burgess and Paine scored. The next two men went out leaving Dean on third base. Both sides went out in short order in the third. In the fourth Brown made two hits but failed to score.

In this inning timely batting netted Harvard three earned runs. Burgess hit safely and went to third on Stevenson's single. The ball was fielded to third in order to catch Burgess, and Stevenson went to second. Both men advanced a base on Paine's long fly to centre. Dean then flied out. Stevenson scored on Rand's single, the latter stole second and came home on Whittemore's three-bagger. Hayes made the third out leaving Whittemore on third.

In the fifth an error by Dean and a two base hit by Lauder brought in one more run for Brown. Harvard failed to score.

With the score five to four against them Brown came to the bat in the sixth and then the runs began to come in. With one man out Whittemore started the trouble by fumbling Lang's grounder and then making a wild throw over Stevenson's head, letting Lang get to second. Summersgill knocked an easy fly to Highlands who let the ball slip through his fingers. Both men advanced a base on Donovan's single but Lang was thrown out while trying to reach home. Robinson got his base on balls. filling the bases. Bustard then knocked a three-bagger and three runs came in.

Lauder struck out.

For Harvard, Highlands knocked a two base hit and went to third on Dean's grounder but that was as far as he could get.

In the seventh, errors by Dean and Scannell and a single by Fultz brought in three more runs for Brown. Scannell hurt his hand but played the inning out and Buckman took his place in the eighth. Harvard went out, one, two, three.

Two errors by Morton, a wild pitch, and a double by Lang, and Brown had scored three times more, making the score thirteen to five.

Harvard failed to score in the eighth and in the ninth Brown went out in short order.

Two hits by Dean and Rand, and careless playing on the part of Brown in the ninth added three more runs to Harvard's meagre score and the game was ended.