HARVARD, 8; PENNSYLVANIA, 3.

Harvard Plays Steady Ball and Wins the Second Game.

Harvard turned the tide of defeat Saturday by defeating the University of Pennsylvania by a score of 8 to 3. Harvard scored eight runs in the first four innings, so that there was little excitement during the rest of the game. The result was due mainly to the excellent pitching of Highlands and the costly errors of Pennsylvania. Besides this the Harvard men ran bases with good judgment and took every possible advantage of their opponent's misplays. The fielding of the home team, too, was very clean, only three errors being made on hard hit balls.

Pennsylvania's errors, on the other hand, were very costly and they gave Harvard a comfortable lead in the first three innings, which was increased in the fourth by some hard hitting.

Goeckel made three of the seven hits for Pennsylvania. Highlands was most effective when there were men on bases. He corrected his old fault of delivering the ball too quickly. Eleven Pennsylvania men were left on bases.

For the first four innings Schoenhut was unsteady and ineffective, but after the game was lost he braced up, and in the last four innings only 12 Harvard men went to the bat.

The game began as though it were to be a repetition of the last few Harvard games. Hollister, the first man at bat, put up a high foul for Scannell, and then Avil drove a hot grounder toward right. Stevenson managed just to reach it, but it was too hot to handle and Avill reached first in safety. Schoenhut was hit by the ball and trotted to first. Goeckel came up next and drove out a hit to left centre, which Rand chased under the willows. Two runs came in and Goeckel rested on third base. Rennig put up a high fly to Rand, Goeckel made a bluff for the plate, but the throw in was too sure, and he turned back. Gray left him by flying out to Burgess.

Harvard came in with two runs against them, but soon had the score tied. Winslow hit out a long, low liner which Gorman gathered in prettily. Dean sent a hot one along the ground to Blakely, but he let it go through his legs to left field. Rand fouled out to Goeckel, but Hayes planted a single in right.

On the throw to third to catch Dean Hayes made for second, and Blakely sent the ball down there to head him off. Hollister muffed the throw and Dean made for home, reaching there safely. Hayes meanwhile kept on for third, and Reunig sent the ball to Blakely, but the throw was high, and while the ball rolled to the outfield, Hayes came in with the second run. Scannell closed the inning by flying to Avil.

Blakely opened the second inning by hitting safely to left, and Gorman's pretty sacrifice bunt moved him up to second. He could not advance, however, as Tracy struck out and Hollister put up a foul which Highlands caught easily.

Schoenhut lost his control in the second, and Burgess and Wrenn got to first on balls. Stevenson struck out, but Highlands drove out a long fly to Gorman, on which Burgess took third. On the next ball pitched Wrenn started for second, and Reuning by a quick throw caught Burgess off third. He was being run down, when Blakely threw high over Reunig's head, and the ball rolled to the players' bench, while two more Harvard men crossed the plate. This rattled Schoenhut, and he sent Winslow and Dean to first on balls. Winslow stole second and third cleverly, but Goeckel made a neat play of Rand's hot grounder and the side was out.

In the third Avil struck out, but Schoenhut got first on balls. Burgess dropped Goeckel's hard drive, and second and third were filled with one out. Reunig hit hard to Wrenn, who played carefully and kept Schoenhut on third while he threw his man out at first. Gray relieved all anxiety by flying out to Rand.

Hayes led off for Harvard by hitting a liner to Avil who made an excusable fumble. Scannell struck out, but Burgess sacrificed to Avil, and, while he was being put out, Hayes, by good base running, reached third. Avil ran out in center for Wrenn's high fly, and then dropped it, so that Hayes scored. Stevenson flied to Goeckel.

Pennsylvania went out in order, but Harvard increased her lead. Highlands drove a neat hit to centre and Winslow was sent to first on balls. Dean hit to Avil, and Highlands was forced at third, but there were still two on bases. Rand drove a hot grounder over third that rolled down the foul line to the canvas. This hit was worth three bases and two runs scored. Hayes fouled to Goeckel, but in a moment Scannell duplicated Rand's hit and Rand came in. Scannell could not run fast enough, however, and he was put out in trying to make third on the hit.

After this inning Dean and Wrenn made singles, but were each thrown out in stealing second. Not another Harvard man reached first.

Pennsylvania, also, could not score until the ninth inning. Avil began by striking out, but Schoenhut was hit by the ball for the second time. Goeckel put his third safe hit in his favorite spot in left, and Reunig's base on balls filled the bases.

The Harvard infield used good judgment here in laying back for a double. Gray hit to Dean and Reunig was forced at second, while Schoenhut scored. Wrenn sent the ball to Stevenson too late for a double, and Goeckel kept on to the plate. Stevenson started to throw to Scannell, but saw quickly that Gray had turned the wrong way after overrunning first, and touched him out before Goeckel reached the plate.

The score:

HARVARD.

A. B. R. B. P. O. A. E.

Winslow, 3b. 2 1 0 1 1 0

Dean, s.s. 3 2 1 2 3 2

Rand, l.f. 4 1 1 4 0 0

Hayes, r.f. 4 2 1 0 0 0

Scannell, c. 4 0 1 6 1 0

Burgess, c.f. 2 1 0 2 0 1

Wrenn, 2b. 3 1 1 2 3 0

Stevenson, 1b. 4 0 0 8 0 0

Highlands, p. 3 0 1 2 2 0

- - - - - -

Totals, 29 8 6 27 10 3

PENNSYLVANIA.

A. B. R. B. P. O. A. E.

Hollister, 2b. 5 0 0 3 1 1

Avil, s.s. 5 1 1 1 2 2

Schoenhut, p. 1 2 1 0 0 0

Goeckel, 1b. 5 0 3 10 0 0

Reunig, c. 3 0 0 3 2 1

Gray, l.f. 5 0 0 1 1 0

Blakely, 3b. 4 0 1 3 2 2

Gorman, r.f. 3 0 1 2 0 0

Tracy, c.f. 4 0 0 1 0 0

- - - - - -

Totals, 35 3 7 24 8 6

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard 2 2 1 3 0 0 0 0 - 8

Pennsylvania, 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 - 3

Earned runs - Harvard 2, Pennsylvania. Three-base hits, Rand. Goeckel. Two-base hit - Scannell. Sacrifice hits - Burgess, Gorman. Stolen Bases - Winslow 2, Dean 2, Hayes, Wrenn, Goeckel. First base on balls - Winslow 2, Burgess, Wrenn, Schoenhut 2, Reunig 2. Hit by pitched ball - Schoenhut 2. Struck out - Hayes, Scannell, Stevenson, Avil 3, Reunig, Tracy. Time - 1h. 45m. Umpire - O'Rourke.