HARVARD, 11; NEWTON A. A., 2.

Improved Batting and A. Highlands's Steady Work Win the Game.

Harvard put up a good game of ball at Newton Centre on Saturday, against the Newton Athletic Association's team. The latter made a much poorer showing than in the game at Cambridge, while Harvard showed considerable improvement, especially where it has been most needed, - at the bat. Fielding chances for Harvard were few and far between, but on the whole the playing was sharp and steady. It was a close battle between the Highlands brothers, with the advantage on the side of A. Highlands. Both struck out seven men; J. Highlands allowed ten hits and A. Highlands nine, but the Harvard hits were well bunched, especially in the fifth and sixth innings, when in all, seven hits with a total of nine, were made, and resulted in eight runs.

The game started with a scratch hit by Mason. He was neatly caught by Scannell, however, when trying to steal second. Hubbard followed with a hit to left field and he, too, failed to get to second before Scannell's quick throw. Abbott went out on an easy grounder to Andy Highlands. Harvard was retired in short order, Dean striking out and Winslow and Scannell going out on flies to the outfield.

In the second Warren foulded out, Bower struck out and Besarick flied into Winslow's hands. Andy Highlands started things going for Harvard by a two base hit to left field. Rand struck out and Hayes went out on a fly to Bowen. Stevenson knocked a two-bagger, which brought in Highlands, and reached third on a wild pitch. Paine got his base on balls and stole second. Wrenn struck out.

Andy Highlands did some tip-top pitching in the third inning, and the Newtons were speedily retired, two of the men striking out. Harvard went out with almost equal rapidity.

Mason started the fourth inning with another scratch hit past first base. Hubbard knocked a hot liner to Highlands who made a double play with Stevenson by catching Mason off at first. Abbott and Warren got their bases on balls, but Bowen struck out. Harvard got one run in this inning. Highlands got his base on balls, went to second on Rand's hit, third on Hubbard's error and scored on Hayes's grounder to Soule, whose brilliant stop was the star play of the game.

Newton scored a run in the fifth. Besarick made a hit, got to third on Scannell's muff of Soule's third strike, and scored on a hit by Benedict. Half of Harvard's runs were made in this inning. Dean led off with his three-bagger and scored on Winslow's hit. Winslow advanced on a hit by Scannell, and scored on Andy Highlands's pretty sacrifice. Rand followed with another hit and stole second. Hayes was given first on balls. With the bases full, Stevenson knocked the ball into the centre fielder's hands, but the latter muffed and Scannell scored. Paine got first on an attempted put-out and Rand came in. Hayes tried to steal in, but was put out at the plate by Mason. Stevenson, however, made the same attempt with success. Wrenn's striking out finished the inning.

In the sixth the Newtons went out in order. Hits by Dean, Winslow and A. Highlands, and errors by J. Highlands and Benedict, brought in three more runs for Harvard. Harvard scored one more run in the seventh.

Newton scored one run in the last inning. Highlands weakened, and two two-baggers and a single were made off him, which resulted in Newton's one earned run.

The score: -

HARVARD.

A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.

Dean, s.s. 4 2 2 1 1 0

Winslow, 3b. 5 2 2 2 0 0

Scannell, c. 5 2 1 9 5 1

A. Highlands, p. 3 2 2 1 5 0

Rand, l.f. 4 1 2 1 0 0

Hayes, r.f. 2 0 0 0 1 0

Stevenson, 1b. 4 1 1 11 0 0

Paine, c.f. 1 1 0 1 1 1

Wrenn, 2b. 4 0 0 1 0 0

- - - - - -

Totals, 32 11 10 27 13 2

NEWTON A. A.

A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.

Mason, c. 4 0 3 8 2 0

Hubbard, s.s. 4 0 1 2 0 1

Abbott, 3b. 3 0 1 1 0 0

Warren, 1b. 3 1 1 7 0 0

Bowen, l.f. 4 0 1 2 0 0

Besarick, r.f. 4 1 1 1 0 0

Soule, 2b. 4 0 0 1 2 0

Benedict, c.f. 3 0 1 1 4 2

J. Highlands, p. 2 0 0 0 3 1

- - - - - -

Totals, 31 2 9 *23 8 4

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 0 1 0 1 5 3 1 0 - 11

Newton A. A. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 - 2

Earned runs - Harvard 5, Newton A. A. 1. Three base hit - Dean. Two base hits - A. Highlands, Stevenson, Abbott, Bowen. Sacrifice hit - A. Highlands. Stolen bases - A. Highlands, Paine 2, Stevenson, Rand 2. Double plays - A. Highlands and Stevenson; Benedict and Warren. Bases on balls - Paine 3, A. Highlands, Hayes 2, Dean, Rand, Abbott, Warren, J. Highlands. Struck out - Dean, Rand, Wrenn 2, Winslow, Stevenson, A. Highlands, Bowen 3, Soule 3, Benedict 2. Wild pitches - J. Highlands 2. A. Highlands. Umpire, Quinn.

*Scannell out, hit by batted ball.