Yale Opinion.

NEW HAVEN, CONN., June 17. - A copy of the challenge to Yale and Harvard from Oxford and Cambridge for the athletic contest next fall was shown the Yale athletic officers tonight.

L. P. Sheldon, the new captain of the athletic team, said: "I have nothing to say until the official letter is received. When that comes Harvard will be consulted at once, and final action will be taken as soon as possible. No university meeting will be necessary, as the officers of the Yale Athletic Association have full power to act independently under advice of the Graduate Advisory Committee. Yale will be glad to meet the English universities in America. It will be hardly probable that Yale and Harvard will agree to a three-mile run. The official letter may have fuller particulars, but by 'weight-putting' only sixteen-pound shot is probably meant, as the fifty-six pound weight is not used in England. I see no advantage in having 120-yards hurdle races under both English and American rules."

G. K. B. Wade, president of the athletic association this year ,would say nothing as he did not recognize the letter published in the papers as official. When asked about the three mile run he said: "I don't know anything about it but I hardly think Yale and Harvard will want it. The old managers and captains will have full charge of the challenge."

Capt. Hickok of the Yale team which went to England last summer could not be found, but Sherman Day, the new president of the athletic association, said: "I can see no reason why the challenge should not be accepted, but of course I cannot speak with authority. Until the challenge arrives all statements in regard to what will be done are premature."