American School of Classical Studies at Rome.

Since the success of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens was assured there has been a general wish to see the establishment of a similar school in Rome. With this in view, a committee of about seventy-five men, representing the forty-four leading colleges and universities of the United States and almost every city of importance, was appointed by the Archaeological Institute of America to consider the feasibility of its establishment. At a meeting of the council of he Institute at New York on May 11, the school at Rome was taken into fellowship with the Archaeological Institute and was granted a fellowship in archaeology of $600, and a certain amount to be used in excavation. The school was definitely organized at a general meeting of the committee on May 18 under the name of the American School of Classical Studies at Rome. A second fellowship of $600 was established and two directors were elected for the ensuing year: Professor W. G. Hale, of University of Chicago, and Professor A. L. Frothingham, of Princeton, who will open the school October 15.

The object of the school is to give an opportunity for advanced study in the fields of literature, philology, archaeology and art. Rome gives unusual advantages for these studies in its monuments, its great collections of manuscripts and its libraries.

Professor Hale will have charge of the work in philology and literature, and Professor Frothingham that in archaeology and art. The proposed studies are: (1) The archaeology of ancient Italy (Italic, Etruscin, Roman) and of the early Christian, Mediaeval and Renaissance periods; (2) inscriptions in Latin and the dialects; (3) Latin palaeography, ancient and mediaeval; (4) Latin literature, as bearing upon ancient life, and (5) of the antiquities of Rome itself. The Classical School will be located with the School of Architecture in the formerly celebrated Villa Ludovisi, an old palace on the Pincian Hill. The quiet and picturesque surroundings make the situation a perfect one for the purpose and commanding a beautiful view over the city, it constitutes one of the most extensive panoramas of Rome and Campagna. How far the broad field of work laid out will actually be covered will depend upon the judgment of the committee, the resources of the school, the special qualifications of the different directors, and the requirements of the students. Study will be made of ancient sites in Italy and the work will doubtless result in publications similar to those of the American School at Athens. The students will be expected to spend the majority of the time in Rome and the rest in travel through Italy and Greece and one or more archaeological journeys will be made every year by the directors and students.