FIRST LINE-UP.

(Continued from first page.)

Stevenson, l. t., r. t., Haughton.

Holt, l. g., r. g., Hoague.

Frank Shaw, centre Hennen.

Jaffray, r. g., l. t., Sargent.

Gould, r. t., l. t., Whitback.

Newell, r. e., l. e., Dobyns.

Borden, quarterback, wadsworth.

Fairchild, halfback, Davis.

Gonterman, halfback, Brown.

C. Brewer, fullback, Weld.

The second eleven had the ball and aimed their plays at Stevenson. They made several good gains so that the ball was on the thirty-yard line before it went to the first eleven. After the first eleven had made several plays Charlie Brewer punted 30 yards. Only one long gain was made by the second eleven after this; it was made by Weld through Stevenson.

The playing throughout was very loose as was expected. Beale played very poorly. Borden seemed to get along better, although he fumbled several times. Holt showed up very well at left guard. He broke through easily, and worked hard in the offensive play.

Cabot did not play when the two elevens lined up, because he is still suffering from a sore knee which got at Marion. With the exception of J. E. N. Shaw, who played right guard on last year's eleven, all the men who are expected back are now on hand.

The first line up of the first eleven shows that there are at present only four places on the eleven which are not filled by old men. These are left guard, right guard, right tackle and quarter-back. When Norton Shaw returns there will be only three open places.

Holt appears to be about as good a man as can be found for left guard. He has had three years experience in playing a centre position, is large, heavy and active. In case Wheeler can play on the first eleven later on in the season he may make Holt work very hard for the place. Conner and Manahan will also try hard either for a position at guard or tackle.

The hardest position to fill will be quarterback. So far no man has come forward who possesses all the qualifications which the position demands. Borden seems to be the best man although he is so very light that it will be almost impossible for him to play very long. Beale has not showed up very well so far, and the other men are out of the question.

Dr. Allie Porter, George C. Gray and Professor Beale were on the field yesterday to watch the practice, while W. H. Lewis coached the second squad.

The practice this afternoon, as yesterday, will be at four o'clock on Soldiers Field.