The Religious Societies.

There are now six religious societies organized in the University and inviting to their fellowship young men of widely different convictions. In one or another of these organizations any student of the University with religious interests should find sympathy and companionship. The special methods and activities are as follows:

YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION.

The purpose of this association is to unite such students of the University as are connected with Evangelic Churches into Christian fellowship and Christian service. Half-hour devotional meetings are held every Thursday evening at 6.45, at the rooms of the association in Holden Chapel, and to these meetings all members of the University are invited. Mission work is arranged by the association and delegations are sent each week to four established missions in Boston, and on every Sunday morning to a service among the sailors in the Boston docks. The association issues at the beginning of each year a handbook, describing its work in detail, and a reception is held soon after the term begins to welcome to the University new students. During the year 1895-96 the study of the Bible is to be made an important branch of the work of the association, and several different courses of study are to be undertaken.

ST. PAUL'S SOCIETY.

The objects of the St. Paul's Society as given in the Constitution are as follows: "To bring the Episcopal students of the University into acquaintance with each other; to afford them opportunities of uniting in worship agreeably to the spirit and forms of their church, of giving each other counsel and suport in the performance of Christian duties, and of undertaking missionary work, and by maintaining a Library to give them convenient access to religious literature. Any member of the University who has been baptized and who attends the Protestant Episcopal Church shall be eligible for membership."

The Society holds weekly meetings in its room, 17 Gray's Hall, throughout the College year. In 1894-95 the first meeting in every month was a business meeting, the second and fourth were lectures on topics of interest by various clergymen, and the third meeting was a religious one, with an address.

Various social and public meetings were also held during the year, including a course of Sunday afternoon sermons in Christ Church. Among the prominent speakers at the meetings have been Bishops Hare, Coleman, and Lawrence, Father J. O. S. Huntington, O. H. C., and Drs. Brewster, Fiske, and Huntington. During Lent, evening prayer was read every night by one of the members of the Society.

Besides the religious work many mem-of the Society have undertaken charity work in connection with the Student Volunteer Committee. There is also a Chapter of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew composed entirely of Harvard men connected with Christ Church.

During the year 1894-95 two public meetings of the St. Paul's Society were held. At the first the Rt. Rev. H. C. Potter, D. D., of New York, spoke on "Christo et Ecclesiae"; at the second, Rev. J. O. S. Huntington, O. H. C., of New York, Spoke on "The Church of the English-speaking Race."

HARVARD RELIGIOUS UNION.

The purpose of this society is "to unite men of various views and faiths in a mutual interchange of religious thought and a common search for truth; to develop and impress the idea of the value of the religious element in character and action, and thus to increase in its members that ethical enthusiasm and purpose which is the result alike of intellectual breadth and moral earnestness.

The meetings of the Union are held in Holden Chapel on Friday evenings at 6.45. The meetings are in part private and in part public. The private meetings are conducted by members of the Union and are informal and conversational in their nature. The public meetings during the year have been addressed by Dr. John Fiske, Professor J. E. Carpenter, Rev. E. E. Hale, D. D., Professor Josiah Royce, and Mr. V. R. Gandhi of Bombay.

THE CATHOLIC CLUB.

In the winter of 1892-93 a self-appointed committee from the various departments of the University met and unanimously agreed that some sort of union among the Catholics of Harvard was desirable. Accordingly in May, 1893, the Harvard Catholic Club was organized. The membership is open to all Catholics in Harvard University and today numbers one hundred and seventy-five.

The purpose of the Catholic Club generally stated is twofold: First, to promote the religious interests of the Catholic students of Harvard, to assist in every way possible Catholic young men who purpose coming to Harvard, and to receive them upon their admission. Secondly, to quicken the spirit of Christianity among the students. The club meets once a month, when it is addressed by prominent men, both lay and clergy. Twice during the year public lectures are given in Sanders Theatre.

THE OXFORD CLUB.

The Oxford Club is composed of students of Harvard University of Methodist affiliations.

During the past year it has held monthly meetings in the chapel of the Epworth Methodist Episcopal Church. The exercises have been both of a literary and social character, and during the year addresses have been given by Bishop John H. Vincent, Professor Borden P. Bowne, Professor M. D. Buell, Professor H. G. Mitchell, Rev. W. H. Thomas, D. D., and Rev. W. I. Haven.

The Club numbers about forty members.

THE DISCIPLES CLUB.

The Disciples Club was formed December 21, 1893.

The Club is composed of students of the University belonging to the denomination known as the Disciples of Christ or Christians. The object is to bring together all the students of this denomination in order to facilitate their acquaintance and to cultivate their fellowship. The Law, Divinity, Graduate, Medical, and Scientific Schools, as well as the College, are represented. Three informal meetings were held in 1893-94. During the year 1894-95 monthly meetings have been held in No. 1 Wadworth House. The club has been addressed by Professor Shaler, Bishop Vincent, Rev. B. B. Tyler of New York, Rev. E. T. Edmunds of Boston, and others. There are about twenty members. Several of these have been connected with the Associated Charities of Boston, under the direction of the Student Volunteer Committee. A number have also been engaged in Sunday-school and other mission work, and some have been active in the Christian Association.

The Board of Preachers for the coming year will be:

Professor Francis G. Peabody, chairman, Rev. J. H. Vincent, LL. D., Rev. E. Winchester Donald, D. D., Rev. S. M. Crothers, Rev. P. S. Moxom, D. D., and Rev, S. J. McPherson, D. D.

The above information is taken from the University pamphlet on "Opportunities Provided for Religious Worship, Instruction, and Fellowship," to which are referred any students who are more interested in the subject.