Prizes in Political Science.

Every competitor for the prizes in Political Science is allowed this year to choose his own subject. With the exception of the Paine prizes the subjects have heretofore been prescribed. The new system will allow those who are writing theses in their courses to choose subjects suitable for a prize essay. The only limitation is that every subject must be approved by the Committee on Prizes in Political Science, of which Professor Hart is chairman, before March 1. It is, however, understood that the committee will approve any subject which falls within the peculiar conditions of the prize sought, and does not cover the ground of previous monographs on the same subject.

The Tappan prize is open to all students of the Graduate School or any of the Professional Schools, who have received an academic degree, and to all graduates of the college of not more than three years' standing. It is only awarded to a work which embodies considerable research. Tappan prizes have been taken by Professors Channing and Taussig, and also by Professor Robinson, now of Columbia, and Professor Currier, of the Institute of Technology. The winning of the prize is a great distinction, and a successful paper would find ready opportunity of publication, either in Harvard Historical Studies or elsewhere.

The Sumner Prize, offered for the best dissertation on a subject connected with the topic of Universal Peace and the methods by which war may be permanently superceded, is particularly applicable at this time. The subjects on which prizes have been taken, printed in the catalogue, are rather more profound than would be ordinarily expected. As this prize offers a fine opportunity for intelligent study of the questions of peace and war, it is to be hoped that there will be a good many essays handed in for this prize. This prize is open to any student of the University in any of its departments; but students can not hope to be successful who have not some knowledge of international law.

The two Paine Prizes have been established in order to stimulate research in modern social questions, One prize will be assigned for the best original investigation of some form of charity work, with practical conclusions drawn therefrom. The other prize will be assigned for the best original investigation on some special phase of the labor question, with practical conclusions drawn therefrom. These prizes are open to any student of any department of the University.

The Bennett Prize, offered for the best essay in English prose on some subject of American governmental domestic or foreign policy of contemporaneous interest, has not yet been awarded. It is open only to members of the senior class and to special students in their third or fourth year who have taken courses in Political Science and English Literature. This prize does not expect so much expert knowledge or depth of research as the others.

In late years these prizes have not been valued as highly as they deserve. It is hoped that this year more interest in them will be taken and that there will be a large number of candidates. They are particularly useful for a man who intends to follow a literary career or become a teacher.