Vesper Service.

Rev. Phillips Brooks spoke yesterday at the vesper service in Appleton Chapel. We know, said the speaker, in part, that great things are difficult to give and to receive. It is easy to give a dollar to a man, but it is hard to give hope to a man's soul. This is the mystery of life. We know how continually God's greatest gifts are passing away, and we cannot let them go till they have done what God meant them to do for us. There is always a sadness in what boyhood has not done for boyhood, and manhood for manhood in what God has given us to do.

We always have doubts in anything that we attempt, and when the end of life comes. surely there must be in the consciousness of every man the fear that he has not taken the advantages of the best gifts of God. By believing God's power is in our experiences, we must force them to elevate our souls. We must wrestle with them till they have given us all they have to bestow on mortal lives.

The choir sang the following: Magnificat. Ed. A. Clare; Come now and let us reason together, H. W. Wareing; Sing the praises (Recit. and aria) from Mendelssonhn's Hvmu of Praise. Mr. George Want was the soloist.