Ninth Regiment Games.

Saturday evening the Ninth Regiment Athletic Association held an open handicap meeting at the Armory, East Newton street, Boston. There were a large number of people present and great enthusiasm was shown in the different events. From an athletic standpoint the tournament as a whole has seldom been equalled, for out of the large number of entries, no less than four world's amateur champions participated.

The time made in the 75 yards dash was very fine, Wefers, N. Y. A. C., winning the finals in 7 4/5s. There was such a large list of entries for this race that they were obliged to run eighteen preliminary heats, in which Hubbard, Green, J. G. Clark, V. Munroe, F. B. Fox, J. T. Roche, Jr., F. Mason, G. L. Collins of H. A. A. each won a first. In the semi-finals four of these were left, but Green was the only man that secured a place for Harvard, coming in third.

Three trial heats were necessary to cut down the candidates in the 440 yards run. Burke, the champion quarter-mile runner was too heavily handicapped to do himself justice. About twelve men started in the final heat and for the first lap they were closely bunched; then Powers of St. Paul's S. A. A. took the lead and won by a narrow margin. Blakemore of Harvard came in third.

In the 880 yards run Harvard, although having several entries, was unable to gain a place.

The military team race was the most exciting event of the evening. Four teams competed. The Emmet Guards of Worcester represented the Ninth, the First Regiment team was composed of three Harvard men and W. J. Holland, while two other teams represented the naval brigade. It was a close race, but Holland, for the first regiment, was the final winner.

F. Holt '99 came in second in the running high jump, clearing 5 ft. 7.75 in.

In the mile run Harvard was unable to make a good showing.