RADCLIFFE COLLEGE REPORTS.

The Reports of the Officers of Radcliffe College Show a Decided Gain.

The advance sheets of the Radcliffe College Reports for 1895, being at hand, it is possible to give an accurate, though necessarily brief, review of the progress of the college during the past year.

Owing to the absence of the president of the college, during the past year, it has been the office of the dean to fulfil her duties, one of which is to make a report of the progress of the year.

One of the most important advances of the year was an act by the President and Fellows of Harvard College by which Radcliffe is enabled to have its diplomas countersigned and the University seal affixed by the President of Harvard University; in this way securing for the future of Radcliffe College the highest instruction and the most significant degrees.

The Commencement exercises were for the first time held in Sanders Theatre, and twenty-three students received the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Of these, seven received the degree magna cum laude, seven the degree cum laude. Three persons received the degree Master of Arts and forty-five of the Alumnae of the Annex who hold the certificate of the Society for the Collegiate Instruction for Women received the Radcliffe degree.

With the steady growth of the college has arisen the necessity of better accommodation for students and teachers. As a matter of fact, no part of the Fay house is fitted for the present needs of the college except the library, and, although the building was overcrowded the previous year, the condition has been much worse during the past year. In general, the two great needs of Redcliffe are better academic accommodations and better opportunities for physical culture.

The regent, Mr. Arthur Gilman, states in his report that the total number of students was 284, an increase over the previous year of 29. They were arranged in 120 classes and were taught by 73 instructors of Harvard University. Among the students there were 134 "Specials," a title little honored in a college for men, but which in Radcliffe College has a peculiar signification, implying that they are students of more years and experience than the undergraduates.

The results indicate a year of more than ordinary success. The students came mostly from New England, though twenty-five states were represented and ninety-five states were represented and ninety-two schools and twenty-one colleges.

By agreement with the President of Harvard College, arrangements have been made by which women may take the Harvard admission examinations at other places than Cambridge, and the present year showed more demand for such opportunities. Examinations were taken at Albany, Cleveland, Concord, N. H., Exeter, Groton, MInneapolis, Portland, Mr., and Washington, D. C.

Eighty-two candidates presented themselves for their final examinations and one hundred and three candidates for their preliminaries.

Among the numerous gifts which have been received was a memorial gift,- the botanical collections of Mary E. Gilbreth, made for her own use as a student and teacher, and, in accordance with her wish, given to Radcliffe College after her death in August, 1894. The collection includes pressed specimens for a herbarium, material for microscopic study and a collection of specimens to illustrate the dissemination of seeds. This unique and valuable collection is to bear her name and to perpetuate her memory in the college.

The library, which now comprises 8313 volumes, has received a number of gifts during the year. Mr. Augustus Lowell presented 130 volumes, many of which belonged to the late Anna C. Lowell. Among other contributors were Mrs. James T. Fields, Mr. Charles F. Atkinson and Col. Higginson.

Early in the year Radcliffe College bought an additional lot of land adjoining its estate. This is known as the "Munroe" homestead and contains about 16,000 feet of land, on which there is a small dwelling house. This house has afforded some relief to the over-crowded rooms in the main building.

Mrs Henry Whitman, who had been appointed to prepare a seal for the college, reported a design which has been adopted. The seal bears the arms of the Radcliffe and Moulson families, Sir Thomas Moulson being the husband of Anne Radcliffe.

The treasurer's report shows that the various gifts and bequests to Radcliffe during the year amounted to $90,455.24. The total expenses of the college year were $59,867.76. The tuition fees for the same period amounted to $49,626.83.

The current expenses have been greater than usual, owing to the fact that many new courses of instruction have been opened, and because the council has made larger payments for some of the courses and for salaries.