Book Notices.

Roberts Brothers, Boston, have just published a delightful book by William Morton Fullerton called "Patriotism and Science." The book will be interesting to Harvard men because of the intimate relation of the author to undergraduate literature while he was in college. Mr. Fullerton graduated in '86. During his course he took an active interest in writing and he with a circle of friends who have been heard from in literary matters since their college days, founded the Harvard Monthly. The book "Patriotism and Science" contains three papers entitled respectively "On a Certain Danger in Patriotism," "English and Americans," and "Democracy," the middle one of the three being a reprint of papers published in the Fortnightly Review lot long ago. The book is intrinsically valuable besides being a reminder of the early days of the Monthly; its point of view is original, its English is excellent and its matter is interesting.

"Patriotism and Science" by William Morton Fullerton. Roberts Brothers, Boston.

There has just been published in the American Statesmen series by Houghton Mifflin and Co. a new life of Abraham Lincoln by John T. Morse Jr. The book is in two volumes and is very attractively gotten up. The story is told in a simple easy style; the matter is of course interesting and it is well handled.

"Abraham Lincoln" by John T. Morse Jr. Houghton, Mifflin & Co., Boston and New York.