HARVARD, 12; BROWN, 0.

Brown Plays a Strong Game and Nearly Scores in the Second Half.

The game with Brown on Saturday was certainly not encouraging from a Harvard standpoint. During the second half the team showed a lamentable weakness in defensive play and had great difficulty in preventing Brown from scoring. Mills and Graydon were the weakest points in the line, and through them the Brown halfbacks gained their distance almost every time. Brown had a number of very effective tricks which gave long gains. It must be remembered, however, that during this half Harvard made no effort to play an offensive game, and always punted as soon as she secured the ball, without endeavoring to gain any ground by rushing.

During the first half Harvard's playing was excellent. The line generally held well and the backs all ran well with the ball. The interference showed a very marked improvement over that of recent games. The linesmen took turns playing back of the line, for the first time this year, and strengthened the offensive play very much. F. Shaw, Wrightington and Beale did particularly well.

Harvard started out with a rush, and, after the kick-off secured the ball immediately on a blocked punt. Wrightington then ran 20 yards around the end for a touchdown. For some time after this neither side could make any considerable gain until Harvard got the ball at the 30 yard line and then scored a touchdown by short rushes.

The second half was very exciting because of Harvard's narrow escapes from being scored against. Brown began hammering away at the tackles, and varied this by an occasional end play or trick. Several times the runners got clear of every one except the fullback, and once Fultz looked as if he had a clear field. Cozens, however, did some fast sprinting and caught him on the 10-yard line. Here Harvard's line held strongly and Brown had to give up the ball on downs. Harvard's goal was not threatened again during the game.

The teams lined up as follows:

HARVARD. BROWN.

Lewis, l. e. r. e., Summersgill.

Wheeler, Mills, l. t. r. t., Locke.

Bouve, l. g. r. g., Thayer.

F. Shaw, c. c., Coombs.

N. Shaw, r. g. l. g., Wheeler.

Haughton, Merriman, r. t. l. t., Casey.

Graydon, r. e. l. e., Murphy.

Beale, q. b. q. b., Colby, Capt.

Sullivan, h. b. h. b., Fultz.

Wrightington, h. b. h. b., Gammons.

Cozzens, h. b.

Dunlop, f. b. f. b., Hall.

Score-12 to 0. Touchdowns-Wrightington 2. Goals from touchdowns-Beale 2. Umpire-M. B. Jones, Dartmouth. Referee-Fred Draper, Williams. Linesman-W. Wing, Providence A. C. Time 20-minute halves.