YALE TO PLAY CARLISLE.

NEW HAVEN, Oct. 20, 1896.

Great interest is being felt in the sesqincentennial celebration at Princeton this week. The invitation for Yale to participate in the torchlight parade on the evening of October 21 was warmly accepted and steps were at once taken to choose the twenty-four delegates from the undergraduate departments. Meetings were held last Friday evening, at which twelve men from Ninety-seven and twelve from Ninety-seven Sheffield were elected as Yale's representatives.

The university football candidates have been put through hard practice during the past week. For nearly an hour every afternoon there has been individual practice in handling punts, blocking off, and so on. The game with the Carlisle Indian School at Manhattan Field next Saturday is being looked forward to with great interest. As it promises to be one of the most exciting games of the season, a large contingent of Yale men will in all probability go down to see it at New York. The number of men at the university training table has been increased to fifteen.

At a recent meeting of the sophomore class the following men were elected members of the committee to make arrangements for the sophomore German during promenade week: W. E. S. Griswold; H. C. Cheney; T. Wright; H. W. Chambers, and C. A. Powers.

The annual fall regatta will be held at Lake Whitney on Saturday, and the races will be rowed over the same course as in former years. The crews of the Sheffield and Academic freshman classes will row first, and then the junior and sophomore crews. The winners of these two heats will race for the class championship.

The tenth anniversary of the dedication of Dwight Hall was celebrated Sunday evening. Letters of congratulation were read from Dr. Alexander McKenzie of Boston, C. W. Goodrich '86, and H. T. Fowler '90. Several speeches were made touching upon the present and past religious work at Yale.

The following permanent deacons have been elected by the sophomore class: D. H. Day, C. H. Welles, Jr., W. M. Wheeler, and W. F. B. Berger. At a meeting held in the university yesterday evening a Biblical Research Club was organized. It was resolved to hold meetings about once a month.

Great surprise is being manifested over the recent decision of the town counsel to tax the university property. It is not clearly seen by many what legal grounds the assessors have to make Yale pay taxes for every dormitory yielding a revenue of over six thousand dollars, and for gymnasiums and other buildings yielding a like revenue. The university has always been exempt from taxation, and the intention of the town counsel to make an innovation in this line will doubtless meet with serious opposition from the university.

The class of ninety-eight has beaten all records in membership in Phi Beta Kappa. The class of ninety-six which had the largest record before had forty-six members; ninety-five had thirty-one; ninety-seven, forty-one, and ninety-eight has fifty-five.

THE YALE NEWS.