'99 Football Criticism.

The Sophomore football team began the season under very discouraging conditions, there being only one regular player of last year's Freshman eleven and four substitutes. The team, however, has improved steadily and is now playing a steady, snappy game.

Four games have been played this fall, three of which were won by Ninety-nine. The fourth game was against the Hopkinson eleven and the Sophomores were beaten by the score of ten to nothing. Since then the eleven has defeated St. Marks 18 to 0.

The team is now playing well together and the defensive game is much improved.

The eleven is made up as follows:

Sherwin, right end. He is heavy and not very active and does not follow the ball well, but is a hard tackler.

H. Stowell, right tackle, is a steady player, but slow and does not break through well.

Catlin, right guard, is strong and heavy, but lacks aggressiveness and is awkward.

Homans, centre. He was substitute on last year's team and, thought light, is strong, steady player.

Huntington, left guard, has been playing at tackle but has lately been put in at guard; he is weak on defensive work.

Whitbeck, left tackle, was a substitute on the team last year. He is slow and unaggresive, but rushes well with the ball.

Johnston, left end, was a substitute last year. He is fast and a good tackler; he also runs well with the ball.

Farley, quarterback and captain, is the only regular player from last year's team. He runs the team well and is a sure tackle.

Davis, halfback, played with the second 'varsity last season. He and L. Stowell, the other half, rush well and are hard tacklers, Davis being the steadier player.

Brown, fullback, kicks well and plays a steady game, and is strong in the interference.