FOUR 'VARSITY ELEVENS

Were Formed Yesterday with Men to Spare.

The large increase in the number of candidates for the 'Varsity Eleven since college began made it possible yesterday to organize four elevens and still have almost enough men to form another eleven left over. There is now an abundance of good material on Soldiers Field, but whether there is still enough time left to develop the men is an unanswerable question. Certain it is that had the season opened on September 21 with the list of candidates now on hand there would have been no doubt as to the outcome of the season. Now, however, it may be too late to train in new men to compete with the veterans of Princeton and the well-trained Pennsylvanians.

The greatest encouragement yesterday was the appearance of Wheeler '98 and Shaw '97. They did not play yesterday, but ran around the field to get into condition. A few days ought to bring them into good shape, when their appearance in the line will greatly strengthen the team. Other new men out yesterday were F. Curtis '98, L Williams '97, Dibblee '99, Robinson '98, Murple '00, Hurley '99, and Brine '98.

Two short practice games of fifteen minutes each were played, the first between the first and third elevens, the second between the second and fourth elevens. In the former game the features were Livermore's dash of 30 yards through the line, Lloyd's excellent tackling, and Merriman's blocking of two of Dunlop's punts. In the second game Brine made a run of 25 yards.

The opening game of the season will be this afternoon at 3.30 on Soldiers Field with Williams. The line-up will be as follows:

HARVARD. WILLIAMS.

Moulton, r. e. l. e., Whitney, Chadwell.

Merriman, r. t. l. t., Lee.

N. Shaw, r. g. l. g., Wright.

Doucette, c. c., McGowan.

Jaffray, l. g. r. g., Lotz.

Mills, l. t. r. t., Corey.

Richardson, l. e. r. e., Rutter.

Beale, q. b. q. b., Ryan, (Capt.)

Wrightington, h. b. h. b., Davis.

Sullivan, h. b. h. b., Dibble.

Brown, f. b. f. b., Templeton.

Subs., Sargent, Burden, Hoague, Swain, Irwin-Martin, Lee, Cochrane, C. H. Warren, Cozzens, Weld.