FRESHMEN, O; SOPHOMORES, O.

Freshmen Show Unexpected Strength in the First Class Game.

The comparatively strong game put up by the Freshmen yesterda afternoon was quite a surprise after their poor work thus far. They were materially strengthened behind the line by Irwin-Martin, who came from the 'Varsity squad and played half back, making long gains around '99's end and tackling well on the defensive. Heard played a strong game on left end, and Hatch, who took Edmunds' place at quarter in the second half, played well and tackled hard. The tackles, against whom '99 massed many of their plays, also played well. On the whole the defensive was strong, and the offensive play, though the interference was ragged at times and there was some fumbling, was effective.

For '99 Farley at quarter tackled well but fumbled badly at times, and P. Brown at fullback kicked very well. Homans at centre, although of light weight, played a plucky game. The ends, while tackling hard and low and getting down well on kicks, were several times pocketed for long gains. The tackles were weak and it was here that 1900 found the best holes.

In the first half Brown kicked off for 1900. Stowell caught the ball, but was downed in his tracks. P. Brown's kick was blocked and it was 1900's ball on the 25 yard line. Nineteen hundred soon lost the ball, however, and P. Brown kicked to Martin, who gained 15 yards. Martin then gained twenty yards on a trick, but 1900 lost the ball on downs and '99 kicked to the 40 yard line. Martin gained ten yards around Sherwin, but '99 soon got the ball again and kicked to the middle of the field. 1900 kicked and Davis gained ten yards before he was downed. 1900 got the ball on downs and kicked to the 35 yard line. After several exchanges of kicks without gain on either side, 1900 got the ball and Parker, with good interference, went around Johnson for 25 yards. 1900 then fumbled and '99 got the ball, but lost it immediately on offside play. 1900 fumbled badly and then kicked to '99's 20 yard line. '99 kicked and time was called with the ball on her 40 yard line.

Ninety-nine started with the kick-off in the second half Farley kicked off and Hatch fumbled but the Freshmen recovered the ball. '99 got the ball on a fumble, but lost it on downs, and it was 1900's ball on the 25 yard line. 1900 gained by tackle plays to the 45 yard line, but then lost the ball on a fumble. Sherwin gained 20 yards around Hawkins, and Stowell gained 5 yards through Talbot, but '99 then lost the ball on downs.

Martin gained ten yards round Sherwin but was hurt and was substituted by Brayton. '99 got the ball on downs but lost it immediately and 1900 kicked to the 35 yard line. P. Brown kicked to the middle of the field, Brayton fumbled and '99 got the ball. Johnson downed Brayton for a loss and Brown kicked. Stowell gained through Talbot, but '99 then lost on downs. 1900 gained by tackle plays but soon lost ball on downs. Sherwin gained 25 yards on a trick. Brown was hurt and Edmands took his place. Time ws called a minute after with 1900's ball on her 40 yard line.

The line-up:

'99. '00.

Johnson, l. e. r. e., Hawkins.

Whitbeck, l. t. r. t., Talbot.

Huntington, l. g. r. g., Trainer.

Homans, c. c., Curtis.

Catlin, r. g. l. g., Boal

Stowell, r. t. l. t., Barney.

Sherwin, r. e. l. e., Heard (Capt.).

Farley (Capt.), q. q., Edmunds.

q., Hatch.

Stowell, l. h. b. r. h. b., Parker.

Davis, r. h. b. l. h. b., Irwin-Martin.

l. h. b., Brayton.

P. Brown, f. b. f. b., Brown.

f. b., Edmands.

Referee, Jones, L. S. Umpire, E. N. Rantoul '97; linesman, R. H. Stevenson '97. Time, 20 minute halves.