HARVARD, 34; TRINITY, 0.

Trinity Does Not Show Up as Well as Was Expected.

Harvard had no trouble yesterday in defeating Trinity in spite of the reported strength of the visiting eleven. The game was on the whole decidedly encouraging, though Trinity did not present a team strong enough to really test the ability of the Harvard line. The visitors could scarcely ever gain the required five yards, and could not prevent Harvard from steadily advancing the ball. Both teams played with a good deal of dash, but both fumbled badly. Trinity was particularly weak in this respect.

For Harvard the most brilliant work was done by Lewis, who played a remarkably good game for a new man. His tackling was hard and sure, and he followed the ball very closely on kicks. Graydon, who played during the second half, also did some excellent tackling. The centre of the line was particularly strong and the men had little difficulty in breaking through their opponents. During the first half almost all Harvard's gains were made through holes opened up by N. Shaw and Doucette.

Between the backs there was little to choose, though Brown and Wrightington played rather the best game. Neither of the fullbacks did any remarkable punting. Brown, however, kicked several difficult goals from touchdowns. Both Beale and Cochrane did well at quarter back.

Beale kicked off for Harvard and the ball was brought back to the 40-yard line. Here Trinity fumbled badly and could make no headway against Harvard's line. After an exchange of punts Harvard rushed the ball to the twenty-yard line, where Wrightington's short punt was blocked. Trinity lost five yards on Lewis' good tackle and then punted to Cabot, who fumbled. Beale then secured the ball on a fumble, but Harvard immediately lost for holding. The ball was soon regained and was then pushed over the line on short rushes through the centre by Wrightington and Livermore. Beale failed to kick the goal.

After the kick-off the ball changed hands several times near the middle of the field. Swain and Cabot were both slightly injured and were replaced by Mills and Brown. Wrightington made a good run of fifteen yards, and a moment later scored the second touchdown. Brown kicked the goal.

Doucette secured the ball at the kick-off and ran fifteen yards before he was downed. Brown then punted to the forty yard line, and on a fumble Lewis fell on the ball. Brown ran twenty yards through the centre, but Wrightington lost and the ball went to Trinity on downs. Here Woodle's punt was blocked and another touchdown soon resulted. The goal was difficult one but was kicked. This ended the first half with a score of 16 to 0.

During the second half almost all the team consisted of substitutes, but it seemed almost as strong as before. The playing was confined entirely to Trinity's territory and continual banging at the guards and tackles soon brought the ball near enough for Sullivan to be pushed over the line. After this almost all of Trinity's punts were blocked and two more touchdowns were made. The best gain made by Trinity was of fifteen yards between F. Shaw and Wheeler on a fake kick.

The line-up:

HARVARD. TRINITY.

Lewis, Cozzens, l.e. r.e., McCook.

Swain, Mills, l.t. r.t., Ingalls.

Sargent, l.g. r.g., Bacon.

Doucette, F. Shaw, c. c., Lord.

N. Shaw, Wheeler, r.g, l.g., Cogswell.

Merriman, r.t. l.t., Langford.

L. Warren, Graydon, r.e. l.e., Rich, Beecroft.

Beale, Cochrane, q.b. q.b., Travers.

Livermore, Sullivan, r.h.b. l.h.b., Bancroft, Sparks.

Wrightington, l.h.b. r.h.b., Sutton.

Cabot, Brown, f.b. f.b., Woodle.

Score-Harvard 34, Trinity 0. Touchdowns-Wrightington (3), F. Shaw, Brown, Sullivan. Goals from touchdowns-Brown (5). Umpire, Lake. Referee, Newell. Linesman, Upton. Time, two 20 minute halves.