Freshman Notice.

For reasons of coaching it is necessary to cut down the Freshman squad or to separate it into two divisions, one of about two elevens made up of those men who at present seem most available, the other of lighter, less experienced men who might well be developing for another year. In order to encourage dividing the squad rather than putting the extramaterial out of training the football management have already announced that cups will be given to the champion eleven of this inter-freshman consolation series and that each contesting will be provided with a coach from one of the upper classes.

But it seems inadvisable to let these cups be contested for by less than four elevens. If the class cares, therefore, to accept this opportunity of helping their first football team by a personal interest on the field instead of on the bleachers, and of promoting, too, a general interest in athletic sport, more men must come out today. At least twenty-five new men are needed.

In spite of the size of the Freshman class there have been this year fifty less candidates than last. It has been suggested by Freshmen that some "best material" has never reported at all. This shows little spirit in 1901, and it is earnestly hoped that the class will take some action to make the proposed cutting down on Wednesday impossible.

NORMAN CABOT.