THE FENCING CLUB.

Two of Last Year's Team Graduated.- Prospects for this Year.

The prospects of the Fencing Club for a successful year are very good. About twenty candidates for the team are practicing with Professor Rondelle, who gives instruction Tuesday and Friday evenings.

Two of last year's team will be missed this year, J. P. Parker '96 and J. E. Hoffman '96. But A. G. Thacher '97, the strongest member of the team is back again, and Austen Riggs '98, who made the best individual score in the Junior Championships, will probably fill one of the vacancies. Among the list of candidates are: A. B. Lapsley '99, L. Luquer '99, W. C. Gerrish '99, H. I. Bowker '98, J. Furness '98, B. R. Curtis '98, W. A. Talcott 1L., R. B. Baker '99, N. Perkins '98, and J. A. Gade 1G.

The two main contests of the year will be the Intercollegiate Championship and the Junior Team Championship. The former will be held as usual at the Racquet Club in New York. This contest usually takes place early in May, but an effort will be made to arrange it earlier this year. The contesting teams will come as last year, from Harvard, Columbia and Annapolis. The trophy, a handsome bronze statuette of a fencer, has been held by Harvard three years, since the first contest took place.

The Junior Championship is for teams of three men who have never received prizes. Harvard entered a team for the first time last year and won the championship. The men were A. F. Riggs '98, J. E. Hoffman '96 and J. P. Parker '96. The contests were held at the New York Fencers' Club and the clubs represented besides Harvard's were the Fencers' Club, the New York Turn Verein and the Columbia and Yale Clubs. None of last year's Harvard team are eligible this year.

The club, also, intends holding the invitation fencing meetings in the club rooms and, moreover, two or three tournaments for the club championship. Professor Rondelle has offered two pair of foils as prizes for this latter competition. The club too will offer cups or medals.