SOPHOMORES, 12; FRESHMEN, O.

'99 Wins the Play-off of Last Week's Tie with 1900.

Ninety nine won the play-off with the Freshmen yesterday by the score of 12 to 0. In the first half the Sophomores had it all their own way and scored two touchdowns; but in the second the Freshmen braced, and at the call of time the ball was on '99's 10 yard line.

Both teams played a kicking game, and Brown's good work at fullback did much toward winning the game for Ninety-nine. He outpunted the Freshman backs at every exchange of kicks, and was always sure to get the ball away safely.

Since the first game with 1900, the Sophomores have improved immensely, and yesterday they played a hard, clean game. The Freshmen, on the other hand, do not seem to be playing any better football than they were last week, and unless they improve rapidly from now on they will have little chance against the Pennsylvania freshmen.

This is the first Freshman team for a number of years that has not beaten the Sophomores in the class game.

Beside Brown, the best work for Ninety-nine was done by Farley at quarterback. He ran the team with good judgment and tackled well. Sherwin and Johnston on the ends did well, as did Homans at centre, but the tackles were weak and it was here that the Freshmen made most of their gains. Davis and Stowell did well behind the line.

For 1900 Heard played well at end, and Talbot and Barney at tackle were good on the defensive. Irwin-Martin was the best of the men behind the line.

Ninety-nine won the ball and Brown kicked off. '00 tried the ends and tackles for short gains and then Becker ran 20 yards on a fake-kick. Ninety-nine held well and took the ball on downs. Brown kicked and Becker was downed without gain. Becker returned the punt and '99 began to rush the ball towards the goal. On the 20 yard line '00 took the ball on downs and on the next play Parker lost ten yards on a good tackle by Sherwin. Becker kicked, but '99 got the ball on the 10 yard line, and after a few short rushes, Davis was pushed over for a touchdown. Brown kicked goal. Score, 6 to 0.

Becker kicked off for '00 and Davis made 10 yards before he was downed. The fullbacks then exchanged kicks a number of times until it was '99's ball on the 20 yard line. Stowell then went through the centre on a trick play for a touchdown. Brown kicked goal. Score, 12 to 0.

In the second half '00 played a much better game, and after considerable punting they took the ball down the field on short rushes till they reached the 10 yd. line, when time was called on account of darkness.

The teams were made up as follows:

'99. '00.

Sherwin, r. e. l. e., Heard (Capt.).

Stowell, r. t. l. t., Barney.

l. t., Grey.

Catlin, r. g. l. g., Boal.

Homans, c. c., Curtis.

Huntington, l. g. r. g., Trainer.

Whitbeck, l. t. r. t., Talbot.

Johnston, l. e. r. e., Hawkins.

r. e., Hatch.

Farley (Capt.), q. b. q. b., Edmunds.

q. b., Hatch.

L. Stowell, l. h. b. l. h. b., Parker.

Davis, r. h. b. r. h. b., Irwin-Martin.

r. h. b., Oglesby.

Brown, f. b. f. b., Becker.

f. b., Brown.

Touchdowns-Davis, Stowell. Goals from touchdowns-Brown 2. Umpire, Whiteside L. S.; referee, Saltonstall L. S.; linesman, Stevenson '97. Time, 20m. halves.