THE PRINCETON DEBATE.

Arrangements for Tonight.- Sketches of the Debaters.

PRINCETON, December 14, 1896.

The whole university is now interested in the coming debate with Harvard. The men who have been chosen to represent Princeton in this contest are hard at work and are putting forward every effort in the hope that they will be able to defeat Harvard, whom they realize as no mean adversary. The inter-hall committee on debate has decided to hold a supper at the Princeton Inn immediately after the debate, at which the debaters from both Harvard and Princeton will be present.

The banquet to the football team, which was given by the alumni, took place at the Inn on Friday evening, Dec. 4. There were nearly 100 guests present. Harvard was represented by Mr. J. H. Sears, editor of Harper's Round Table, and Yale by Mr. J. R. Sheffield. Before the dinner the members of the team unanimously re-elected Garrett Cochran as captain of the football team for next year.

The annual trip of the Glee, Banjo and Mandolin Clubs will begin December 21. The organization travels in a special train, composed of four private cars, loaned specially for the trip. The first concert will be given Monday night, December 21, in Baltimore. The clubs will also give concerts at the following places: Dec. 22, Washington; Dec. 23, Pittsburg; Dec. 24, Fort Wayne; 25, Chicago; Dec. 26, Rockford; Dec. 28, Peoria; Dec. 29, Davenport; Dec. 30, Des Moines; Dec. 31, St. Louis; Jan. 1, Louisville.

The first indoor handicap games of the season were held last Wednesday afternoon in the Casino. The following events were contested: 28 yards dash, putting 12 pound shot, putting 16 pound shot, running high jump. Other events were to take place but had to be postponed on account of darkness. It is hoped that by these games interest in track games may be increased so that Princeton may regain her former good name in that branch of sport.

The Rev. John Watson (Ian Maclaren) delivered a very interesting lecture here last Wednesday before a very enthusiastic audience. He took as the subject of his lecture "The Annals of Drumtochty with Notes."

DAILY PRINCETONIAN.