HARVARD WINS.

The dual games with Pennsylvania held Saturday afternoon on Holmes Field resulted in a victory for Harvard by 57 points to 55. When the games were finished the score was a tie, but Orton had been protested for fouling Fenno in the half-mile run and, the protest being sustained, one point was transferred from Pennsylvania to Harvard. The games were probably the most interesting ever held in Cambridge, being full of hard fought contests and leaving the result in doubt to the very end.

Two unexpected events occurred which made it seem toward the close that Harvard would lose. In the 100 yards dash Roche sprained a tendon in his leg when almost at the finish line, and had to be carried off the track, and Warren fell over the last hurdle in the 220 when he seemed sure of a place. Harvard's poor showing in the mile run was due to Grant's insubordination in competing in the Marathon race contrary to Mr. Lathrop's orders. As a measure of discipline he was not allowed to enter the games on Saturday.

When everything had been decided but the shot put, the score stood 54 to 50 in Harvard's favor, and it was expected that Pennsylvania would get first and second in that event, giving her the victory by two points. Woodruff, however, owing to a strained knee, was not able to do his best work and E. H. Clarke saved the day by surpassing his own previous performances with a put of 40 feet 4 1-2 inches, giving Harvard second place and tieing the score. Another surprise was in the pole vaulting of A. B. Emmons '98, who outdid himself by vaulting 10 feet 9 inches and beating out Stewart for second place. Remington's jump of 22 feet 8 inches disappointed Harvard's hope in the broad jump. Hoffman showed that he is a sprinter of exceptional speed and power.

In the high hurdles the Pennsylvania men failed to qualify in the trial heats, though in the second heat Williams had a close race with Remington for second place. In the first heat of the 100 yards dash Pennsylvania was shut out. The other was a ten-second heat and was very close. Hoffman was leading near the finish when Roche made a good spurt, but failed to overtake the Pennsylvania man. The 440 yards run was a beautiful race and one of the most interesting events. Hillary set the pace until half way around, when Hollister increased his pace and passed him. At the beginning of the stretch Vincent also passed Hillary, who was overtaken by Fish almost at the finish line, giving all three places to Harvard.

The final of the 100 yards followed and was won by Hoffman in 10 seconds with Denholm and Bigelow close behind. Roche was abreast of Hoffman, when his injury put him out of the race. The mile run and the mile walk were both very easy victories for Pennsylvania, though in the former Starbuck ran a plucky race.

Hoffman won the first heat of the 220 yards dash easily in 22 seconds. The second heat was closer, Denholm passing Hillary half way to the finish line. Denholm lead in the final for two-thirds of the course, where he was passed by Hoffman. The half mile was an interesting race, though Hollister won without much exertion. Fenno set the pace for the first lap; then Orton crept to the front and on the turn pushed his way inside of Fenno, who was passed by Lane. Then Hollister quickened his speed and easily passed the field, winning by about fifteen-yards. As Orton was disqualified for fouling Fenno, Lane got second place and Fenno third.

The high jump was notable for Winsor's jump of 6 ft. 2 1-2 in., which is better than the intercollegiate record. Morse came up to his previous record of 6 ft. 1 in.

The one mile bicycle race was won by Harbeck in the morning on the Charles River Park track. It was a very slow race, with a close finish, showing good headwork for the Harvard riders.

Summary of events:

440 Yards Run-Won by E. Hollister, H.; second, W. H. Vincent, H.; third, H. H. Fish, H. Time, 50 1-5s.

120 Yards Hurdles-First heat, won by E. H. Clark, H.; second, N. P. Hallowell, H.; time, 16 2-5s. Second heat, won by F. B. Fox, H.; second, H. L. Williams, H.; time, 16 3-5s. Final, won by F. B. Fox, H.; second, N. P. Hallowell, H.; third, H. L. Williams, H. Time, 16 3-5s.

100 Yards Dash-First heat, won by F. H. Bigelow, H.; second, J. W. Denholm, H.; time, 10 1-5s. Second heat, won by R. D. Hoffman, P.; second, J. T. Roche Jr. H.; time, 10s. Final, won by R. D. Hoffman, P.; second, W. J. Denholm, H.; third, F. H. Bigelow, H. Time, 10s.

One Mile Run-Won by G. W. Orton, P.; second, A. Grant, P.; third, E. A. Mechling, P. Time, 4m. 31 3-5s.

One Mile Walk-Won by W. B. Fetterman, P.; second, J. D. Phillips, H.; third, S. L. Munson, Jr., H. Time, 7m. 13 4-5s.

High Jump-Won by J. D. Winsor, P.; height, 6 ft. 2 1-2 in.; second, W. G. Morse, H.; 6 ft. 1 in.; third, F. Holt, H.; 5 ft. 8 1-2 in.

16-Pound Hammer-Won by W. G. Woodruff, P.; distance, 134 ft. 11 in.; second, J. C. McCracken, P.; 126 ft. 9 in.; third, F. G. Shaw, H.; 117 ft. 3 in.

880 Yards Run-Won by E. Hollister, H.; second, L. J. Lane, P.; third, E. N. Fenno, H. Time, 1m. 57 2-5s. (Orton disqualified).

One Mile Bicycle-Won by C. T. Harbeck, H.; second, A. W. Stackhouse, P.; third, H. T. Coates, P. Time, 3m. 13s.

220 Yards Hurdles-First heat won by L. Warren, H.; second W. P. Remington, P.; time, 25 4-5s. Second heat won by W. G. Morse, H.; second, J. M. McKibbin, P.; time, 26 1-5s. Final, won by W. G. Morse, H.; second, J. M. McKibbin, P.; third, W. P. Remington, P. Time, 25 3-5s.

220 Yards Dash-First heat won by R. D. Hoffman, P.; second, F. H. Bigelow, H.; time, 22s. Second heat, won by W. J. Denholm, H.; second, W. R. Hillary, P.; time, 22 2-5s. Final, won by R. D.

(Continued on third page.)