ENGLISH 6.

Debate of March 19, 1896.Question: "Resolved, That Municipal Suffrage should be Extended to Women in Massachusetts."

Brief for the Affirmative.A. M. KALES and A. G. LEWIS.

Best general references: T. W. Higginson, "Common Sense about Women;" Pellew, "Woman and the Commonwealth;" Report of Mass. Bureau of Statistics of Labor, 1889; Speech of Senator Carey at Washington, Feb. 27, 1891; Woman Suffrage Leaflets, vol. II, No. 28 (Sept. 15, 1889); Vol. VII, No. 4 (July, 1895); Vol. VI, No. 4 (July, 1893); Vol. VI, No. 4 (July, 1894); Vol. II, No. 14 (Feb. 15, 1889); Speech of Hon. John D. Long at Melrose, Mass., Oct. 20, 1895; Speech of H. W. Beecher at Cooper Institute, Feb. 2, 1860.

I. The testimony of the century has been in favor of municipal suffrage for women.- (a) In many foreign countries she already possesses the power.- (1) England, Scotland, Wales.- (2) Australia and New Zealand.- (b) She possesses municipal suffrage in many States of the Union.- (c) Its extension has been favored, notably in Massachusetts, by many of the most eminent statesmen: W. S. Leaflet, Vol. I, No. 3 (Sept. 1888).- (d) It received 107,000 votes at the late referendum in this state.

II. The extension of the municipal franchise to women is justifiable as necessary to women's interests.- (a) The progress of women towards complete social equality with man has been great and constant.- (1) Towards industrial equality: Report of Bureau of Statistics of Labor, 1889.- (2) Towards legal equality.- (3) Towards equality in the holding and management of property.- (4) Towards educational equality: Speech of Senator Carey, Feb. 27, 1891.- (b) It is necessary for the protection of their interests that those who obey the law and pay taxes should have a distinct voice in the government.- (1) The objection that women can be adequately represented by man, is unsound.- (x) Many women have no husbands or male relatives.- (y) She differs widely from man in views and interests.- (c) The objection that woman should not vote, because they cannot fight, is unsound.-

(Continued on fourth page.)