"BRANGLEBRINK."

The Plot and the Cast of the Ninety=Six Pudding Play.

The principals and chorus of "Branglebrink," the ninety-six Pudding play, are rehearsing daily in preparation for the annual theatrical performances of the Hasty Pudding Club.

The plot of the play, the libretto of which was written by R. M. Townsend '96, follows:

During the absence of King John of Sylvania on a crusade to the Holyland, Bishop Christian and Sir Daniel de Lion enter into a conspiracy against him in Branglebrink. The insurrection which they plan is intended to set the Bishop himself on the throne; whereupon de Lion, having married the Bishop's ward, would be pronounced heir apparent. Before their plans can be carried out, however, the King with one faithful friend returns from the Holyland in disguise. As the two tramps, Tatters and Robbie, they impose upon the credulous Bishop by a pretense of magic knowledge, and discover his hate for the King. They so far win his confidence that he entrusts to the disguised King the task of persuading the unwilling Mirabelle to marry Dan de Lion. To this end the King is again disguised, this time as the Bishop; and he and Robbie at once clap the real Bishop into a safe for safe keeping.

Complications naturally ensue. Tatters, the King, takes advantage of his newly acquired character of guardian to make violent love to Mirabelle, in spite of his promise to further Robbie's suit in that direction. Robbie, between whom and the Princess there has long been a lover's understanding, can at last no longer endure concealment. Though forbidden to speak to the Princess, he serenades her. She in joy recognizes his voice, and together they agree to elope; but the question of money confronts them. Mirabelle remembers that she has some jewels locked up with her crown in the Bishop's safe. She has told Dan de Lion, if he would prove his love, to bring her this crown. Why should he not get the jewels too? Robbie can find no reasonable grounds for opposing the plan; and accordingly de Lion, having artfully secured the keys from the pretended Bishop, opens the safe and to his terror lets out the real Bishop.

Bishop Christian is in no pleasant humor, nor is he pleased to meet his double. In the guise of the new Bishop's secretary, he recognizes Robbie as a condemned exile, and orders him to be seized. Here the King declares himself and interferes. His officer, Baron Fundz appears, announcing that the castle is in his hands. There is nothing left for de Lion and the Bishop but humbly to crave pardon; which the King graciously grants. He repeats his offer to the Princess, but she is still faithful to the anxious Robbie, and the King is constrained to be content with the love of his happy subjects.

The cast will be as follows:

Tatter de Malion, A. H. Parker '97.

Princess Mirabelle, E. G. Knoblauch '96.

Robert of Alles, H. Schurz '97.

Bishop Christian, E. V. Frothingham '96.

Daniel de Lion, L. B. Valentine '97.

Brother John (a monk), H. W. Howe '97.

Rococo (servant all round) J. C. Hunt '96.

Io Penn (the chaperone), E. M. Hurley '96.

Baron Fundz, F. Duffield '96.

The principals and the chorus have been rehearsing under the direction of the well-known Boston singer and comedian, Mr. James Gilbert.