Exhibition of the Gardner Collection of Photographs.

The first public exhibition of the Geological Department in Massachusetts Lower Hall from Wednesday to Saturday, March 25 to 28 inclusive. This collection is maintained by the income of the fund established by George A. Gardner, of Boston. Other accessories have come from time to time as gifts from students and friends of the department.

The present exhibition includes about 1000 photographs designed to show the general character of the collection and its use in teaching. Among the sets of views which will be on exhibition are some views of glaciers and mountains of the Alpine district; a set of views of the Malas juna district at the base of Mt. St. Elias, Alaska; a very complete set of views of the New Zeland geyser terraces, which were destroyed by the volcanic eruption of 1886. The exhibition will also include a number of views of volcanoes, with the geographical features resulting from the flow of lava, and also views of the underground structure of ancient igenus rocks as shown in various localities.

The sea coasts of the world, lake shores, rivers and valleys, are represented by photographs, many of which have been taken from the point of view of the scientific geographer and geologist as well as from the point of view of the artist. A number of other views representing landscapes and many other points of scientific interest, as well as of scenic interest on account of the character of the photographs, are included in the exhibit.

There will also be a series of views illustrating the physiographic features of the land, showing stages of portions of the earth's surface from topographic youth to maturity and old age.

In addition to these illustrations of particular branches of geology there will be shown views of some limited districts as for instance, "Death Valley" and the lowlands of southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island, with reference to the rocks and glacial deposits as well as to the coast scenery.

During the exhibition the following gentlemen will speak on different subjects: Professor Shaler on general geology, Professor Davis on physiography, Professor Wolff on petrography and geology, Mr. Whittle on petrography and geology, Mr. Woodworth on geology and glaciers, Mr. Jagger on experimental geology, Mr. Ward on meteorology and cloud photographs, Mr. Daly on geology, and Mr. Schrader on glacial geology.

Some one of the above named gentlemen will be present at all times during the exhibition to point out views of special interest and to answer inquiries.