Communication.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

We invite all members of the University to contribute to this column, but we are not responsible for the sentiments expressed.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

As the warm days and nights have been coming on and the students have spent more and more of their time outdoors or sitting by their open windows, the fact that the Glee Club has not been singing much in the yard of late becomes more and more suggestive. Whether this simply indicates an indisposition on the part of the present members of the club to favor the college or whether it is the sign of the decadence of the good old custom is an open question. If it is the latter it certainly is deplorable.

The old records of college life are full or praise of the Glee Club for the open air concerts on the warm summer evenings. Indeed the purpose which the originators of the club had in mind was along this very line. Beginning with the year 1858 when the club was founded the main business was serenading and singing in the yard. As the matter stands now the opportunities which college men have of hearing the club without following it out of town are practically limited to three or four. We have two concerts each year in Sanders Theatre and one or more in Brattle Hall and generally a rainy one on Class Day and this is about all. And these concerts where the men have to dress formally and the element of singing for fun is practically absent are not entirely satisfactory. The highest purpose of such an organization as the Glee Club is to express the peculiar spirit which is found only in college men and when the organization gets itself down to a formal concert basis it fails to accomplish that purpose. Of course this is more a matter of sentiment than of practical utility but sentiment is about half of our life here and legitimately so. Can we not have a little more of the old time "singing in the yard?"

STUDENT.