Appleon Chapel.

Rev. George W. Douglas, D. D., of New Haven, conducted the service in Appleton Chapel last evening, taking as his text Acts 26, 14: "I heard a voice speaking unto me, Saul, Saul, it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks," and Timothy IV, 6: "I am now ready to be offered."

These words, said Mr. Douglas, have to do with the life of a typical Christian. From the time Paul spoke the first words until he declared himself ready for sacrifice there had been a great change in his character. The law of sacrifice is a downright fact of life, and the effect of living under that law is the essence of true religion.

No man's life can be without sacrifice, if he is to accomplish anything. Through Jesus, sacrifice was made noble. It is what knits man to God: the Divine in human life.

Most men have a definite bent, but to devote themselves to one thing they must conform to the bars of circumstance. They must work with the tools and staff at hand. But hindrances annoy them, and at times God appears to mock. Yet, though the human will cannot arrive at its chosen point, the discipline of character will permit another goal. For a strenous nature such schooling is hard; but character is the only thing which man can win, hold and take away with him.

Self sacrifice is God-like, it is what knits us to God. It is the general law of the world since the world is God's. According to sinners, sacrifice is ignoble. But self-devotion is the very essence of love and God is love. True self-sacrifice is companionship with God.

In old history the slaves worked for the wealthy and administered to their whims. The slaves had no rights; but when Jesus said, "I am among you as he that serveth," He made Himself one with them. Christ made it clear that all men must see not how much they can get out of it; but how much they can put into it. By His self-sacrifice He ennobled self-devotion.

The burnt offering goes forth in all our lives; but in many cases there is no love with it. It is the evil in us that converts labor into sorrow. The selfish life is not only small; but it is not even human. Earthly love makes sacrifice a joy, and this earthly love is a reflection of the heavenly love. If we open our minds to Christ, we shall be filled with the Heavenly love and the light of self-sacrifice.