Summer School Courses.

This year, in the announcement of courses of instruction of the Summer School, the committee in charge offers, besides the regular courses which have been given during the last few years, several new and attractive courses. Very many applications for entrance have already been received, and the attendance this year promises to be larger than ever before.

Noticeable among the new courses is one on the Theory and the History of the Fine Arts, to be given by Professor Charles Eliot Norton and Mr. Richard Norton, Instructor in the History of the Fine Arts at Bryn Mawr College. This course will begin with a discussion of the nature of the Fine Arts and their mutual relations, and of the modes in which they may be best studied in this country. Later the special study of Greek Art will be taken up, especially that of Athens during the fifth century B. C., as exhibiting the highest achievements of the Greeks, and as affording an introduction to the best art of more recent time.

It is proposed that the course of 1896 shall be followed in 1897 by a similar course, in which the chief attention shall be given to the arts of Italy from the thirteenth to the seventeenth centuries inclusive.

Another new course of considerable interest is one in Latin for Teachers to be given by Mr. C. P. Parker. In this course methods of teaching and reading at sight will be discussed. There will also be readings of Cicero and Virgil and special attention will be paid to pronunciation and expression, and secondly to translation into idiomatic English. Proficiency in reading Cicero and Virgil will be necessary for admittance to this course.

Geology 2 consists of field work and accessory lectures. It will be given by Professor N. S. Shaler and Mr. J. B. Woodworth, and is designed for those who have already taken Course 4 of the University lists or 1 of the Summer School. In the lecture room the following topics will be discussed: The classification of geological phenomena, Mr. J. B. Woodworth; the way to approach a field problem, Professor N. S. Shaler; the problems of geological service, Professor N. S. Shaler and Mr. Woodworth. The lectures will be illustrated by specimens, maps, photographs and stereopticon views, and by a few short excursions to localities in this vicinity. Mr. Wood-worth will conduct the field work but Professor Shaler will take a limited share in the work in Rhode Island and Martha's Vineyard.

Two courses in Physiography, intended especially for teachers of geography in secondary schools, will be given by Professor W. M. Davis. The first elementary course will consist of lectures, on the physiography of the lands, supplemented by laboratory work and excursions, and is designed to promote the change in the method of teaching geography, so generally advocated in recent years.

The second or advanced course will consist of individual work in the laboratory or library, under the guidance of the instructor. Conferences will be held daily.

Further information about these courses and others in the Summer School may be had on application to Mr. M. Chamberlain, Cambridge.