PRINCETON LETTER.

Need of a New Gymnasium.- Address by Joseph Jefferson.

PRINCETON, N. J., Oct. 30, 1895.

The topic of the most absorbing interest at Princeton now is the coming game with Harvard on Nov. 2. All preparations are rapidly being made for the event. A large force of workmen are erecting the stands and the work is being pushed as much as possible. If it is found that the seats cannot be completed by working by daylight, electric lights will be put up and the work will be carried on during the night. The Pennsylvania Railroad has put in ample sidings for the special trains that will be run in to Princeton on that day. The team has been steadily at work and very noticeable improvement has been made. Suter is being tried at quarter and is doing good work. He will in all probability play quarter in the game next Saturday. Crowdis made his first appearance of this season on the football field yesterday. He stands a good chance of playing Riggs's position if Riggs does not recover from his injuries in time for the game. Today's practice was open, and it gave an opportunity of estimating our probable strength against Harvard. The prospect is very much improved. Upon petition of the student body the faculty decided to allow the cane spree to take place at night as was the custom some years ago, the seniors and juniors pledging themselves to prevent any objectionable features on account of which it was abolished. The annual fall handicap games took place on Oct 21. On account of the strong wind on that day the events were rather slow, especially the long runs. Goldthwaite '99, broke the freshman quarter mile record, running it in 52 seconds. Sane '97, equalled the intercollegiate record of 10 seconds in the 100 yard dash.

The New Jersey Society of Colonial Dames held its annual meeting at Princeton on Oct. 22, to commemorate the founding of the first college established in the royal province of New Jersey, Oct. 22, 1746.

The meeting was addressed by prominent members of the faculty, and the places of historic interest about Princeton were visited.

The Banjo Club, at the invitation of the McGill University at Montreal, in connection with the Yale Glee Club and the McGill Club, gave concerts at that institution on last Friday night and Saturday afternoon, returning to Princeton on Sunday. The trip was a very successful one in every sense. The club received every courtesy from its hosts and acquitted itself in such a manner as to sustain the good reputation which it has enjoyed in past years.

At the meeting of the graduate clubs of several of the American Universities in New York last spring it seemed clearly advisable that one should be established at Princeton, and consideration of the matter terminated in its establishment on October 23, with the sanction of the faculty and trustees of the college. It is hoped that by means of this organization the graduate students will be brought into closer touch with one-another and that by the exchange of ideas and results of personal research great mutual benefit will result.

THE DAILY PRINCETONIAN.