NATIONAL CONVENTION.

Democrats Nominate Russell.- Republicans Fail to Agree.

The Harvard National Convention met last evening in the lecture room of the Fogg Art Museum. It was a most enthusiastic gathering. Great interest was felt throughout; and, until the convention adjourned, the hall was crowded to the doors.

The first business was to appoint J. M. Perkins L. S., permanent chairman. The Democrats had precedence in the order of business. The party platform was submitted by the Committee on Resolutions, read and accepted. Its essential features were: first, adherence to the gold standard; second, no disturbance of the tariff; revenue to be increased if necessary by excise taxes; denunciation of the present Southern Pacific Railroad bill; endorsement of Pres. Cleveland's foreign policy, and the extension of civil service reform. A minority resolution favoring free silver at a ratio of 16 to 1, offered by K. Stone, L. S., of Missouri, was lost after a spirited debate. The nominating speeches were then in order. Wirt Howe '96, of Louisiana, nominated Carlisle. J. S. Bryan, L. S., of Virginia, in one of the best speeches of the evening, seconded the nomination of Bayard, and F. Dobyns '98, of Ohio, nominated Russell. The voting was then done by states. The ballot resulted as follows: Bayard, 40; Russell, 42; Carlisle, 42. The second and final ballot resulted as follows: Russell, 107; Carlisle, 17. A motion to make Russell's nomination unanimous was lost.

The Republicans then proceeded to nominate their candidates. The platform was read and accepted. It declared for sound money and a higher protection tariff. The nominations were then in order. F. R. Steward '96 of Montana nominated McKinley; W. S. Youngman L. S. of Pennsylvania nominated Reed, and N. B. Marshall of District of Columbia nominated Harrison. The balloting resulted as follows: First ballot, McKinley, 55; Reed, 61; Harrison, 8. Second ballot, McKinley, 53; Reed, 60; Harrison, 8. Third ballot, McKinley, 58; Reed, 56; Harrison, 7. Fourth ballot, McKinley, 62; Reed, 56; Harrison, 7. Thus while the Republicans failed to reach an agreement, it was very clear that McKinley was gaining and would have been nominated but for the firmness of the Harrison men.

The convention passed a vote of thanks to the committee and then adjourned.