The large silver cup, which has been in the window of the CRIMSON office for some time, is the intercollegiate chess trophy. It was donated in 1892 by such business men as Chauncey M. Depew, F. H. Betts, S. B. Chittenden, S. H. Chapman and E. A. Caswell, the originator of the movement, for Yale; P. H. Butler, John Greenaugh, J. J. Higginson, Edward King, and H. W. Poor, for Harvard; W. Royal Cutting, G. L. Rives, F. A. Schermerhorn, and W. O. Wilson, for Columbia; and Cleveland H. Dodge for Princeton. The cost of the cup was five hundred dollars. Columbia won the trophy in '92 and '93, but in '94 surrendered it to Harvard. The '95 tournament held in New York city, was won by Southard and Ryder of the Harvard Chess Club, and the cup will remain in the possession of the club for one year. According to the terms of the deed of gift Harvard will have to defend the cup successfully for eight years more in order to gain permanent possession of it.
Competition has been restricted to the colleges whose alumni presented the trophy, for the last four years, but next year it will be open to all colleges, although a unanimous consent must be obtained for the admission of new applicants.- It is probable, therefore, that the interest in college chess will become more general and widespread, as the game has already gained a strong foothold among the students of many of the colleges of this country.
At the close of this college year the cup will be placed in the historical room in the Gore Hall Library, where it may be seen by all those interested in the game of chess.