A VICTORY AGAIN.

Harvard Defeats the University of Chicago, 10 to 7.

The first athletic contest between Harvard and the University of Chicago-the baseball game on Holmes Field yesterday afternoon-was an easy victory for Harvard. The Western players showed the fatigue of their trip and did not play with any snap.

Harvard won because she bunched her hits and scattered her errors more than Chicago. Eight hits were made by each side, but while the Chicago players made only singles, for Harvard Clarkson made a double in addition to a home run, and Burgess and Haughton also made home runs. Harvard's errors were not so costly as Chicago's, in fact several errors were such, merely because of questionable decisions of the umpire.

The fielding of the home team was superior to that of the visitors; Stevenson's lucky left hand stop of a hot grounder and Burgess's brilliant running catch of a short fly to right, followed by a double play, being the features of the game.

The batteries of both teams were evenly matched; Haughton and Brown both having a rather unsteady delivery; Scannell and Jones playing a steady game behind the bat.

For Chicago Nichols had the remarkable record of four runs out of four times at bat, the result of three singles and a base on balls. Five put-outs were credited to Nichols out of as many chances. G. Clark at second was the weak spot on the Chicago infield.

Most of Harvard's runs were made in the first half of the game, while Chicago's were made mostly in the last two innings when Haughton weakened considerably.

The tabulated score:

HARVARD.

a.b. r. b.h. p.o. a. e.

Dean, 2b. 4 1 1 3 3 0

Scannell, c. 5 1 0 3 1 0

Burgess, r.f. 5 2 3 3 0 1

Clarkson, c.f. 3 3 2 1 1 0

Haughton, p. 4 2 1 0 4 2

Rand, l.f. 4 0 0 0 0 1

R. Stevenson, 3b. 4 0 0 1 5 0

Paine, 1b. 3 1 0 13 0 1

Chandler, s. 4 0 1 3 1 1

Totals, 36 10 8 27 15 6

U. OF CHICAGO.

a.b. r. b.h. p.o. a. e.

Nichols, l.f. 4 4 3 5 0 0

Jones, c. 4 2 1 3 0 0

Sweet, s. 5 0 1 1 3 1

Winston, 2b. 3 1 1 1 2 1

Herscberger, c.f. 3 0 0 2 1 1

G. Clark, 2b. 3 0 1 0 3 2

Brown, p. 4 0 0 1 5 1

Abells, 1b. 4 0 1 11 0 0

H. Clark, r.f. 4 0 0 0 0 0

Totals, 34 7 8 24 14 6

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 4 0 1 0 2 0 2 1 -10

U. of C., 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 3 2-7

Earned runs-Harvard 4. Two-base hit-Clarkson. Home runs-Haughton, Burgess, Clarkson, Sacrifice-Scannell. Stolen bases-Scannell, Stevenson, Sweet, Winston, Nichols, Jones. Base on balls-by Haughton, G. Clark, Jones, Winston, Nichols, Herschberger; by Brown-Dean, Rand, Paine. Struck out-H. Clark, Rand, Haughton. Double plays-Burgess and Clarkson. Passed balls-Scannell, Jones. Time-2h. Umpire-Murray.