INTERCOLLEGIATE GAMES.

No Harvard Men in the Finals of the Quarter Mile.

All of the Mott Haven team who are to compete in the preliminary heats this afternoon, with the exception of the bicycle men, who went day before yesterday, left Harvard Square yesterday afternoon at two o'clock by a special electric car. A large crowd had assembled in the square, and the men were given an enthusiastic send-off. The contestants in the mile run and the mile walk will leave today.

The following is the order of events for this afternoon, beginning at two o'clock:

Track Events.1. 100 yards dash, trial heats.

2. 120 yards hurdle, trial heats.

3. Half-mile run, trial heats.

4. Two-mile bicycle, trial heats.

5. 440 yards dash, trial heats.

6. 220 yards hurdles, trial heats.

7. 220 yards dash, trial heats.

Field Events.1. Throwing the hammer, trials.

2. Pole vault, trials.

3. Running high jump, trials.

4. Running broad jump, trials.

5. Putting the shot, trials.

In each field event the number of contestants will be reduced to five today.

It is difficult, and in fact almost impossible, to predict the winners in the different events. A careful comparison of the teams of the different colleges indicates that Yale will probably win first place, with Harvard second and Pennsylvania third.

Both the short dashes are very uncertain. Ramsdell of Pennsylvania won them last year in even time, and should repeat his victory this year. Yale expects Richards to win two first prizes in these events, and it is not unlikely that he will do so, as he won them both two years ago and is now running in his old time form. Crumm of Iowa is a new man with a phenomenal record, and many who have followed his work carefully think that he will win. Patterson of Williams, Bucholtz of Pennsylvania, and Redpath of Harvard are all good sprinters and are sure to figure in the result.

There are not so many fast men as usual in the quarter mile. First place should be won by either Bingham of Harvard or Sands of Union with the chances in favor of the former. Marshall of Harvard, ought to win third place.

The half mile will be a race worth going a long distance to see, and the record may be broken in this event. Kilpatrick of Union won last year, and has shown great improvement since. The chances are that he will beat Hollister of Harvard, but the latter ran a wonderfully fast race in the Harvard-Yale games and has almost as good a chance to win as Kilpatrick. Orton of Pennsylvania is likely to take third place.

The men in the mile run are very evenly matched, and include some of the fastest runners in this country. Orton ought to win the race unless he is tired out in the half mile. Jarvis of Pennsylvania and Morgan of Yale should take second and third places respectively though if Kilpatrick starts in this event he is likely to win a place.

Bremer of Harvard seems reasonably sure of winning the low hurdle race, while Cady of Yale and Chase of Dartmouth should be second and third. The high hurdle race is almost certain to be won by Chase, with Cady second, and either Hatch or Perkins of Yale third.

The result of the bicycle race was a great surprise last year and it is a doubtful event this year. Gary of Dartmouth has had more experience in racing than any of the other men and is probably a faster rider than Goodman of Princeton who won last year. Osgood and Coates of Pennsylvania, Ottoman of C. C. N. Y., Hill of Yale, and Elliot of Harvard will fight it out for third place.

Thrall of Yale should finish first in the mile walk with Houghton of Amherst second and Drew of Harvard third.

Hickok of Yale is almost sure to win both the hammer throwing and shot putting. In the former either Cross of Yale, or Patterson of Cornell, will probably be second, and Chadwick of Yale has a chance to take third. In the shot putting, Brown of Yale and Knipe of U. of P., should win the other two prizes.

It is generally conceeded that Paine of Harvard will be first in the high jump, while Becker of Cornell, and Winsor of Pennsylvania, may take second and third. Leslie of Pennsylvania, will not compete.

If Hoyt of Harvard, can clear 11 feet again in the pole vault on Saturday he will win first prize, though Thomas of Yale, and Bucholtz of Pennsylvania, have done almost the same height.

Sheldon of Yale ought not to have much trouble in winning the broad jump. Stickney of Harvard, and Ramsdell and Bucholtz of Pennsylvania have done over 22 feet, and should have a close contest for second place, probably finishing in the above order.