HARVARD LOSES AGAIN.

Princeton Wins the Second Game, after 16 Innings, 8 to 6.

Princeton won the second game of the series in a long, close and exciting sixteen inning game on Holmes Field last Saturday by the score of 8 to 6.

The victory for Princeton was a great one since she had to play an uphill game for eight innings, and because for twelve successive innings she kept Harvard from scoring. The defeat for Harvard was a disappointment, not only because the recent playing of the nine made victory possible and probable, but more because the nine let the game slip away on account of their inability to hit the ball at critical moments. There were any number of times when a hit would have given the game to Harvard and every time, except in the fourteenth when Haughton made a three base hit which scored Clarkson, the men failed to accept the chance.

After the first inning, when Harvard through Easton's weakness in the box scored five runs, the game was a superb exhibition of baseball-the best perhaps that has ever been given on Holmes Field. Almost in every inning some phenomenal play was made. It was not until the fifth that Princeton was able to score, but then Paine's unsteadiness gave her four runs. One run was added in the eighth, which tied the score. Then for five innings neither side could make a run. Even when Princeton broke the spell by scoring, Harvard was equal to the emergency, again making a tie. Here Harvard might have won but for poor coaching. After this Harvard again had an opportunity of winning but failed to accept it. Princeton scored two runs in the sixteenth which gave her the game.

Throughout the afternoon the cheering was very effective and did much to encourage the Harvard nine to play the great game of ball it did. Haughton, who played first base, deserves the greatest praise for his magnificent playing. His reaching and jumping after balls prevented Princeton from getting men to first and across the plate many times, besides keeping down the list of Harvard's errors. Paine showed himself a great pitcher, keeping the hits well scattered except in two innings and showing praiseworthy endurance. Dean made several star catches in spite of the fact that he lost his feet. Chandler at short-stop played a steady game, making an excellent stop in backing up Stevenson in the twelfth inning. In fact the fielding of the entire nine was, with one or two exceptions, perfect.

The Princeton men may well feel proud of winning. After Easton had all but lost the game by allowing Harvard five runs in the first inning, Wilson pitched a steady uphill game in which he had the support of every man on the team. The superiority of the visitors at the bat finally won them the game on a two base hit and a single.

Suter, who began the game in left field, was protested by Harvard on two grounds: first, that he is a first year special student at Princeton this year; second, that he was at the Pennsylvania State College last year. Wheeler who took Suter's place in the tenth inning made one beautiful running catch and hit well.

The score:

PRINCETON.

a. b. r. b. h. p. o. a. e.

Suter, 1b., 4 1 0 0 0 0

Wheeler, l. f., 4 1 2 4 1 0

Easton, p., c. f. 8 3 4 2 0 2

Bradley, 1b., 8 0 3 24 1 1

Titus, c., 7 0 1 9 3 1

Gunster, 3b., 6 0 0 2 7 2

Altman, r. f., 6 0 2 3 1 0

Smith, 2b., 7 0 2 2 6 1

Wilson, c. f., 7 1 2 0 3 0

Ward, s., 7 2 1 2 9 1

Totals, 64 8 17 48 31 8

HARVARD.

a. b. r. b. h. p. o. a. e.

Dean, 2b. 8 0 1 7 4 0

Scannell, c. 7 1 1 11 2 0

Burgess, r. f. 7 1 1 2 0 0

Clarkson, c. f. 7 2 2 5 0 1

Haughton, 1b. 8 1 3 16 1 1

Rand, 1. f. 6 1 0 5 0 0

R. Stevenson, 3b. 7 0 2 2 4 0

Paine, p. 6 0 2 0 4 1

Chandler, s. 7 0 2 0 4 2

Totals, 63 6 14 48 19 5

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Princeton, 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2-8

Harvard, 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0-6

Earned runs-Princeton 4, Harvard 3. Two base hits-Ward, Chandler, Haughton, Easton. Three base hits-Scannell, Clarkson, Haughton. Stolen bases-Bradley, Easton, Smith, Rand, Stevenson, Haughton. Sacrifice hit-Bradley. First base on balls-By Paine, Altman, Gunster; by Wilson, Paine, Scannell, Clarkson; by Easton, Rand. Struck out-By Paine, Suter 2, Easton, Smith 3, Altman; by Wilson, Paine, Scannell. Double plays-Gunster, Titus and Bradley; Ward, Titus and Bradley. Wild pitches-Paine 2, Easton 2, Wilson. Hit by pitched ball-Burgess, Scannell. Time, 3h. 35m. Umpire, O'Rourke.