Columbia's New Dormitory.

The plans for the new dormitory at Columbia, which have recently been made public, show an entirely new departure in architecture of the kind. Instead of the usual four-story block, there will be a large building, capable of accommodating 800 students, with dining rooms, reading rooms, public parlors, private baths and the like. It will be, in fact, as complete as a large modern hotel.

The building, to be called Hamilton court, in honor of Alexander Hamilton, will stand between 120th and 121st Sts. It will be nine stories high, and will cover a plot of ground 200 feet square. Each floor has been designed to accommodate 100 students. The rooms are either single or divided into suites, and will be furnished by the university.

On the lowest floor will be the room of the university physician and quarters for the managers. The ground floor on the Amsterdam avenue side will be occupied by six selected stores for the convenience of the students, including a druggist and barber, and there will also be a large bicycle room. The cellar will be a complete heat and electric light plant.

The building will be completed by next fall if possible. It will aim to put the cost of living within the means of every student; the large number of students will probably reduce the price of board to between seven and ten dollars a week.