HOUSTON HALL.

U. of P.'s University Club and How it is Governed.

In yesterday's Crimson an article was published about the founding of Houston Hall and the history of the University Club of Pennsylvania. The following are some facts about the operation of Houston Hall.

The board who had in charge the completion of the building, very wisely as it has turned out placed the entire government of the hall in the hands of the students themselves by the formation of the Houston Club. The club elects annually all its own officers except the board of directors (appointed by the trustees), the superintendent or "custodian," the treasurer and one member of house committee; these last three being appointed by the board of directors. The government of the club is vested officially in the house committee, composed of two club members from each department of the university, the custodian, the president of the club exofficio and the appointee of the board. The house committee exercises the power usual to the house committee of a social club. Besides the house committee and acting under its supervision are various sub-committees: a library committee which governs the reading room and all pictures and books belonging to the club. Under the jurisdiction of this committee come the photographs and pictures in the hall which are valued at about $1000. The important committees are the membership committee consisting of two representatives of each of the departments of the university and an executive council which also has a department representation. The most important officer of the club is the custodian, appointed by the board of directors, who is responsible to the club through the house committee, and to the trustees through the board of directors.

The board has an absolute veto power upon the acts of the committees and officers, a right, however, which has never been exercised. The membership of the University Club is at present 1410, a number about equally divided between the college and professional schools.

The active membership is $2.00. A contributing member pays $10.00 annually, receiving the privilege of the baths, gymnasium, etc. In addition, there are small charges for the various games, etc., which are included in the general maintenance fund.