LETTER FROM PENNSYLVANIA.

PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 18, 1897.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

In reply to your query as to the position the Houston Club occupies as a social factor in the University, it seems hardly necessary to say that the hopes of those who were interested in its establishing have been most fully realized. It has brought together all classes and departments, has centralized all, or nearly all of the organizations which the university supports-its athletic association, publications, religious and literary societies, besides affording meeting rooms for committees and classes. It has become in fact the centre of university life. It is confined to no special department of the university nor is it in its influence more or less beneficial to students possessing social position and means than to those who possess neither. In other words, it appeals to all sorts of students and inasmuch as the club does this is its influence a broadening one and of the most vital use to the university.

In the billiard and pool rooms, bowling alleys and swimming pools, there are provided opportunities for harmless amusement-one of the chief objects of such a club-as well as opportunities for the students in the various departments to come into contact, making them feel that they have interests in common and seeming to unify and strengthen university spirit.

One of the most important results accomplished by the club is seen in the weakening of much of that spirit of snobbishness which was previously so strong, particularly in the classes of the college department and which used to be an element most injurious to class spirit and college loyalty. The members of the club are brought together socially in the fortnightly smokers and by the entertainments given by the Glee, Mask and Wig, and Garrick Clubs in the Auditorium.

THE PENNSYLVANIAN.