NEWTON A. A. DEFEATED, 24-0

'Varsity Shows Improvement.- Newton Plays Loosely at Times.

The eleven defeated Newton A. A. yesterday afternoon by a score of 24 to 0, in a well played and interesting game. As a whole the 'Varsity showed a decided improvement over their recent form, and though two of the four touchdowns were more or less flukes, Newton forced the play but once, and then only to Harvard's 20-yard line where they were held for downs.

The game started off with an unusual amount of vim and dash. The signals were given rapidly and the plays ran smoothly and in quick succession. Newton was fairly taken off her feet and was unable to withstand the fierce attacks made upon her line. A touchdown was scored within three minutes after play. During the remainder of the half, the ball was always in Newton's territory. Twice the ball was rushed to the 10-yard line only to be lost on downs. The line-men may deserve some censure for a lack of aggressiveness at such critical stages. Otherwise the line was strong in spite of the number of substitutes played. None of Newton's punts were blocked, although several times the fullback was prevented from kicking by many of the line-men rushing through. Swain and Mills both protected their territory in splendid style, the tandem plays through Swain gaining in almost every instance. Wheeler, who replaced Swain the second half, proved a vulnerable point in the Harvard line. He was easily pocketed, with the result that twice Draper went plunging through the line for gains of 30 and 15 yards. In the former case, he broke through clearly and would have scored but for Dibblee's beautiful dive which pulled him down on the 20-yard line. That was as near as Newton got to the Harvard line during the second half as their efforts to gain on three downs failed to net them a single yard.

The backs showed some improvement, although the interference at times was lamentably weak. Sawin was most unfortunate in being called upon for gains around the end when he practically had to run unprotected. Warren and Cabot played the best game for Harvard. Warren bucked the line with a great deal of force, punted well, and was sure on catching kicks. He is a fast and hard runner, as was clearly demonstrated when he picked up the ball on a fumble and left the whole field behind him for a run of 40 yards to the goal line.

Cabot and Moulton were always in the game. They were down well on punts and followed the ball with great precision. There were one or two occasions, however, when they were greatly at fault in over-running their man. Cabot was used effectively as a ground-gainer, both the first and the last touchdowns being scored by him.

Cochrane ran the team with fair judgment and tackled strongly, but failed to get into the interference as he should have. Several times, instead of being in a position to block off for his backs, he proved a barrier to their progress.

The line-up and summary follow:

HARVARD. NEWTON A. A.

Cabot, l. e. r. e., Madison.

Swain, Wheeler, l. t. r. t., F. Eddy.

Sargent, l. g. r. g., Paul.

Doucette, c. c., Callahan.

Boal, r. g. l. g., Eddy.

Mills, r. t. l. t., Nash.

Moulton, r. e. l. e., Murphy.

Cochrane, q. b. q. b., Saul.

Dibblee, l. h. b. r. h. b., Draper.

Sawin, Sullivan, r. h. b. l. h. b., Corbett.

Warren, f. b. f. b., Taylor.

Touchdowns scored by-Cabot, 2; Moulton, Warren. Goals from touchdowns-Cochrane, 4. Referee-Cross, Yale. Umpire-Letton, Yale. Linesmen-Lewis, Harvard; Gallaegher, N. A. A. Timekeeper-Mr. Lathrop, Harvard.

The practice today will be secret.